UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Best place to buy a battery in the UK?

Old 08-28-2018, 01:30 PM
itm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000_f20
Pretty sure Amazon will look after you if something was up with the battery.
Especially if you have vouchers, that is a great help in reducing the cost.
Maybe contact amazon to confirm and ask if they honour the warranty for 5 years?
Unfortunately I can't find a way of asking Amazon that question - it only seems possible to ask questions about existing orders. The only other way seems to be to ask a product question, which has already been done and which was answered by "Amazon customer".
???
Old 08-28-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Some stuff is Amazon fulfilment and others are vendor fulfilment, also there's sold by Amazon, so it's important to find out where you stand an as you say trying to contact Amazon is a mare.

Just looked up my last battery change, that was from a local Honda dealer and they gave a three year warranty back in 2013 and that cost £62.50. It's still going strong despite being "abused" by letting it get really low a few times.

I bought a Yuasa from a local motor factor, it has a three year warranty, it could be returned for refund as faulty the first year, after that they would only replace it after being sent away for testing, not much use if you need the car! it lasted around fourteen months.
Vitally important is to make sure the terminals are the right way around, some advertise it as for the S2000 (Halfords) but the terminals are reversed.

There are third party web sites that will connect you with Amazon customer service, but they charge you between £1.50 and £3.50 per min!!!!!

I found this Telegraph article with a couple of numbers -

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ct-Amazon.html

Last edited by richmc; 08-28-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:33 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Do not buy an OEM Honda battery. they are pants! loads of threads on them loosing charge, I've had two and they both were pants. Now got a Yuasa and it holds charge over the winter while the car is in the garage.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:38 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
Do not buy an OEM Honda battery. they are pants! loads of threads on them loosing charge, I've had two and they both were pants. Now got a Yuasa and it holds charge over the winter while the car is in the garage.
Sorry mate but I've found the exact opposite, original battery lasted seven years, Yuasa fourteen months, replaced with Honda one now five years and still going strong, despite as I posted taking some abuse.
The following users liked this post:
nomadicS2k (09-03-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:01 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

There's no such thing as an OEM Honda Battery. If you buy from Honda, you'll get whatever brand they have in stock at the time. I think I had three batteries in total over 12 years of ownership, so each probably lasted about 5 years (the third was still going strong).
Old 08-29-2018, 01:23 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

That's interesting. My honda battery failed on my first s2000 and i replaced it with another one from Honda. Again poor performance on the second one and if the car wasn't driven regularly the battery would loose charge and struggle to start. Now on my second s2000 which was bought with a halfords battery so at some point the original had failed. I replaced with Yuasa and never had an issue since. I also know MrT replaced his with a Honda Battery and he was constantly having to put his car on trickle charge.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:24 AM
itm

I was digging through old paperwork and came across a letter of complaint that I wrote to Chiswick Honda in January 2007....I bought a battery from them and went to fit it in their car park before I realised that I'd forgotten to bring a screwdriver. I popped into their service department to ask if I could borrow one for 10 minutes to fit the battery that they'd just sold me and they refused - insisting that I would have to pay their £26 fitting charge. I had been a regular customer of Chiswick Honda up to that point, but have never been back since (the manager ignored my complaint).
I have also noticed that the battery would not retain its charge for longer than 10-12 days if the car wasn't driven. A bit of a problem for me as it stays in the garage for much of the winter, and I often don't drive it for periods of 3-4 weeks. I've had to leave it on trickle charge pretty much the whole time to keep it alive. On the plus side, I've managed to keep it going for more than 10 years, albeit on a not particularly satisfactory life support system (which has added to my electrical bills over the years).
I need to make a call so have decided to give the Yuasa a try. Alot of people seem to like them on the internet, and Yuasa also seem to have a very good reputation with bikers. Plus it's effectively free for me as I can use my Amazon vouchers. Fingers crossed....
The following users liked this post:
har-vey (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 02:28 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Most of the battery drainage is down to the alarm. I just disconnect the battery when the car is SORN for the winter (no power in my garage) and it's started up just fine after 4 months.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:34 AM
itm

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Most of the battery drainage is down to the alarm. I just disconnect the battery when the car is SORN for the winter (no power in my garage) and it's started up just fine after 4 months.
Yes I've often though about doing that myself. The problem is that I know how irritated I would be if I needed to take the car out in a hurry and then forgot that needed to reconnect the battery, which is a bit tricky to access as the car is a tight fit in my garage. I'd also get fed up with reprogramming the stations on the stereo.
I keep meaning to investigate whether there is a simple circuit breaker that I could install to make it more convenient.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I got a Yuasa from Halfords!

Quick Reply: Best place to buy a battery in the UK?