UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Beware of this s2000

Old 08-27-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hold my head in shame....... Iv only embarrassed myself , someone throw me a sword so I can fall on it. The point of this post was to warn others about this s2 I highly doubt the owner is on here. Anyways tony it's been great meeting you laterz.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Cracking way to encourage people to post...
Old 08-28-2015, 12:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marklesal
I hold my head in shame....... Iv only embarrassed myself , someone throw me a sword so I can fall on it. The point of this post was to warn others about this s2 I highly doubt the owner is on here. Anyways tony it's been great meeting you laterz.

Pay no mind to that tripe Mark, thanks for being so honest with your post, I'm sure most really appreciate it

Good luck with your future purchase, I'm sure there's a decent one waiting for you somewhere!
Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, that sucks, I've had a similar experience in the past and it wasn't a cheap car either and I can completely see where youre coming from.

Secondly, it's always better to get pictures before you travel as I've found the ebay listing and the seller has been clever enough to only take a forward facing shot of the car

I assume this is the one you won:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-HONDA...item1ea1f077a2

Glad you've let everyone know your experience, hopefully nobody will have this problem in the future.

Joe
Old 08-28-2015, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be put off from this forum by the internet idiots, there's plenty of them here and everywhere else....
A heads up is always handy to know!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:58 AM

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts

Christ, isn't it full of them. The car is less than £4 grand, do you really think you're going to get something mint?!

So, lets really digest your issue here, rather than the tripe previously posted by keyboard friends.

* X reg car, on ebay. 14 years old - it will likely have some rust, even if it's been casually missed in the listing. Rust can be easy to fix, or tricky.
* the bodywork dent - £80 to £100 for a sizeable dent is about the cost. Sometimes cheaper if you meet at the dealers they tend to work at. I've had it removed for £20 outside a Toyota garage
* accident damage - tell me one that hasn't had any? there aren't many. BOTH the ones I bought had some o/s action at some point, but professionally repaired.
* EML's. I find it difficult to believe you paid a deposit without researching the car first. This can be the very fact it's had a bump.

As I mentioned earlier - heads up are useful to savvy shoppers, but there are that many bad 'uns, it's normal to expect a difference of opinion on whats thought as average condition by the seller, when in fact its a rotten example that's had garish repairs. Happened to me as I said in my earlier post, however mine was in the middle market pricing. Perhaps a one off, I don't know.

Aim higher. With ebay, just get their mob number and treat like an Autotrader buy. Don't deposit in paypal. Walk away if they won't accept your terms.

This is more the fact the seller understands the terms of paypal, and that you have not much comeback. ebay is full of this, steer clear. It's proving to be a vastly complained about selling site of late, for not just cars but other items of high value. Seller's seem to have more rights that buyers.
AT in my experience of car buying tends to land better stock. Not a given, but all the same, keeps you mainly clear of utter crap on fleabay. People are more likely to be serious sellers on AT, because they pay £50 or £60 to advertise their pride & joy.

Sorry its harsh to say, you get what you pay for at times on ebay.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
You took a chance, you lost. Pity, feel for you bro'.
No matter how far away, I'd never put money down before looking. Ever.

I'd need to see it, feel it, smell it. Oh, and drive it. Can you imagine the timing chain rattling on test drive, or the handling to be suspect.

If your post is to embarrass the seller, you've only embarrassed yourself really. A heads up of a sh#tter is useful for would be buyers, however there's so many dogs on the wider market it will be soon forgotten.

Why not buy from a respectable owner on here - perhaps the best market.
Or carry on looking for dog pooh on eBay. Good luck :-)

To own 6 s2000's - are you crashing them? Most owners grow an affinity with their very own, and make it their busm buddy for a long time. Myself, I owned one 10 years ago not long after it was launched for 2 years, then came back to one after having a family 3 years ago.

I've no problem at all buying cheap, in fact, I'd prefer it now. More to do and tinker with, gets you a bargain. But expect to view many. Unless you drop lucky.
Would you talk to somebody like this face to face ?
Old 08-28-2015, 05:50 AM

thanks for the lesson in how to buy a car s2k4tony! I think you should join all the posts you have made in this thread together and hopefully admin can sticky them so we can all be awesome at car buying as well...........

Thanks for the heads up about the car, I have a friend looking for one at the moment and this one isn't that far away from us, saves a wasted journey though!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

To the Op , what's wrong with looking at this car ? https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...t-a-solid-car/
Old 08-28-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Vtechead
Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1440709074' post='23728838
You took a chance, you lost. Pity, feel for you bro'.
No matter how far away, I'd never put money down before looking. Ever.

I'd need to see it, feel it, smell it. Oh, and drive it. Can you imagine the timing chain rattling on test drive, or the handling to be suspect.

If your post is to embarrass the seller, you've only embarrassed yourself really. A heads up of a sh#tter is useful for would be buyers, however there's so many dogs on the wider market it will be soon forgotten.

Why not buy from a respectable owner on here - perhaps the best market.
Or carry on looking for dog pooh on eBay. Good luck :-)

To own 6 s2000's - are you crashing them? Most owners grow an affinity with their very own, and make it their busm buddy for a long time. Myself, I owned one 10 years ago not long after it was launched for 2 years, then came back to one after having a family 3 years ago.

I've no problem at all buying cheap, in fact, I'd prefer it now. More to do and tinker with, gets you a bargain. But expect to view many. Unless you drop lucky.
Would you talk to somebody like this face to face ?
Of course.

Imagine how many warnings there's been like this over the years about bottom of the book s2ks. Must be dozens a year.

I don't understand the rant when he's walked into it. Especially the fact the OP has hardly ever posted.
I give up!

Quick Reply: Beware of this s2000