UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Boot open light

Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boot open light

Hi there, hopefully someone else has come across this. Just recently my boot lid light has started to stay on all the time. I had never even noticed the light before. Anyone know if it's just a case of disconnecting the wire to make it go out?
I would like it to work properly but not too fussed, i'd rather it just went out.

Thank's for any help on this.

Steve
Old 07-21-2010, 01:33 AM

Do you mean the interior boot light? or the high level brake light? If its the former, reminds me of the old fridge door parady, how do you know? or is it the light on the dash that indicates the boot is open?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:21 AM

Assuming its the light on the dash board you are refering too, that tells you the boot it open - and you are sure it is shut properly.....

There is a latching switch inside the boot opening mechanism (with the solinoid that opens the boot lock). This same swicth turns on both the boot interior light and the dash light. So unless you have some specific earth fault in the dash light circuit then aswell as your dash light being on, your interior boot light is too, you just don't know it.

Most likely the latching switch is stuck in the closed (on) position all the time, or there is some earth fault at that location.

Try giving the whole switch housing a few taps, see if that clears it. If not I suppose you are into a new solinoid/switch module.

If you don't care about having a boot light or the dash warning light you could cut the Blue&Black wire that connects to terminal 3 of the solinoid unit.

You may wish to remove your interior boot light bulb until you get this sorted.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 AM

Thanks for the info Gav, i have taped the black box and moved the wires around but the light still comes on, on the dash so i will probably end up cutting the wire.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 AM

Before you cut the wire, try seperating the electrical connector block to the lock. When you do this the boot light and the dash light should go off as there should be no route to ground (earth). This should confirm that it is the switch that is the issue. If the light stays on after doing this, then the earth fault is somewhere esle and cutting the wire wont help.
Unfortuntely you will need to reconnect the block to open the boot.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Won't the car refuse to lock unless the boot is shut? Is that not the same sensor?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Spies,Jul 22 2010, 11:52 AM
Won't the car refuse to lock unless the boot is shut? Is that not the same sensor?
Good point, that may be the case on MY04+, or at least the indicators flash differently to warn you something is still open, but perhaps it makes no difference for the Clifford alarm on Lion@hearts MY02.

Worth considering though before any snipping....
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by GavB,Jul 22 2010, 02:38 AM
Before you cut the wire, try seperating the electrical connector block to the lock. When you do this the boot light and the dash light should go off as there should be no route to ground (earth). This should confirm that it is the switch that is the issue. If the light stays on after doing this, then the earth fault is somewhere esle and cutting the wire wont help.
Unfortuntely you will need to reconnect the block to open the boot.
Thanks for that i uncliped the switch and light still stayed on but i have noticed that the light is brighter on the dash when the boot is open!
As you say probably an earthing prob, how easy is that to cure?
I might just have to accept that i will continue with a light on the dash!
Bloody annoying but i can live with it, i think
Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 AM

I have this problem at the moment.
I've taken the whole locking mechanism apart and cant find an earthing problem.

Though I got nervous when I initially couldn't put it back together so was focused on that for a while rather than tracing the harness.

Causing me an issue because I can't put my alarm on (cobra fitted to JDM) as the alarm thinks my boot is open.

Anyone else had this problem since?

Suggestions to help investigate/fix would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Probably the microswitch inside the lock has gone; it's easy enough to test the circuit with it disconnected to check.

Quick Reply: Boot open light