UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bore Scratches

Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Well it's all stripped now and we are happy with the crank which is perfect and the journals are all in tolerance blemish free , and scratch free all measured all most exactly the same dims.

going to take block to a couple of engine builders and see what they think about the very minor couple of scratches I the bores only one is barely detectable with the old finger nail

the carbon at the top of the bores is more discolouration so not a problem

Pistons cleaned and to be honest are just slightly polished on the long part of the skirts

all bores measured and compared , all same size with little oval wear if any, slight polish to right and left

pictures at the moment on Instagram

Toby has to decide what parts to buy now for the build !!!!
Old 01-21-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

You should link to the Instagram pics Chippo. I'm following this with interest.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:50 AM

I would if I knew how ! Luddite here
Old 01-29-2017, 12:17 AM

Ok , so I have taken the block into a well know company who do engine machining and building in Romford . Saw the boss , who immediately identified the block as Honda with FRM bores , didn't recognise the F20C2 number as he hadn't seen an S2000 block before .

he,inseceted the bores and his advice was do not touch them . They had bored quite a few FRM bores over the years on instruction but never been happy with the result and didn't advise even a hone of this block , he thought the odd mark and couple of scratch were in significant in any block,let alone this one . He said if Toby did anything he would suggest using spun cast iron liners as ( Carrilo ) as he fits to any number of other engines including lots of Cosworth Racing engines , but that would only,be a last resort , his,parting words were rebuild it as it is,, new rods , pitons maybe if,when measured are worn . He also commented that Honda engines and esp cranks,do not suffer from much wear and the 90k miles on the engine was minimal for a Honda , he also thought the block looked in fantastic condition like new .

so,now it's down to Toby to make a decision !! As to what to do next and what parts to buy

oh try #chippo60 for,Instagram photos

Last edited by CHIPPO; 01-29-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:34 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

IG doesnt let you (easily) embed images but here's a link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPiK4GeB...chippo60&hl=en

good news on the bores. Be interested to see what the plan is and how it runs when done

Last edited by Nottm_S2; 01-29-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
I would if I knew how ! Luddite here
From inside your picture in Instagram, by your name are three little dots (top right). Press this for a sub menu; delete, turn off commenting, edit, share & cancel. Click share then copy link. The picture address will be saved to your clipboard, where you can paste it into here, like this:

https://instagram.com/p/4bVpzFxSbN/

Job jobbed.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
IG doesnt let you (easily) embed images but here's a link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPiK4GeB...chippo60&hl=en

good news on the bores. Be interested to see what the plan is and how it runs when done
Or what he said... should have read the whole thread!
Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 AM

Looks like it's going to be spun SG cast iron liners ,block bored, liners fitted and then bored to 87mm , at least this will widen the choice of Pistons.

getting exciting now
Old 02-05-2017, 02:37 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd have stuck to getting it honed and use oversize OEM 87.5mm pistons. There are people out there in the uk who are experienced with it. Liners are ok too but though.

Id also take the opportunity to stick a 2.2 crank in there

Spoon stroker from Taikyu is about £2500 and that's all new crank / pistons / rods etc.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:31 AM

I would not have bothered doing anything about these minor marks in a couple of the bores , but it's not my call , as Dad I am just providing the shed and assistance when required.q

Quick Reply: Bore Scratches