UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bore Scratches

Old 10-01-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

VB,was a pleasure .

the main bearings clearances are not within 0.001" each other, they are around 0.001" total as measured with plastigauge , in fact the lower limit of plastic gauge , not sure I think toby measured a max on bearing 5 at the rear of 0.0015"

which makes the end result of the 5 bearings being in line true and the crank free. To rotate and spin amazing , she vid above.

the lower main bearing cap/girdle is located with hollow dowels and as I recall they are tight and have to be carefully pulled in.

Givern morethouht to your problem , I think engine out and sort the thrust , if the crank bearing surfaces are ok and the housing ok and the thrust bearings are with in tolerance then I suppose you will need to find a bearing manufacturer to make some thicker than OEM and as you said the longitudinal location of the crank in the block determined. If,the crank bearing surface are damaged I would think a decent engine remanufacuerrer could sort that and in fact supply the over size bearings , give Adrian a call at Gosnay,s in Romford .

Rob
Old 10-29-2017, 08:10 AM

At last some more progress , the block cleaned, lower main bearing cap/girdle cranked along with,a,final clean,of crank . Interesting using degreaser and an air line was the amount of crap blown out of the oil ways , having thought is was previously clean.

[img]webkit-fake-url://64609d34-9709-41c0-af07-28542dda2b94/imagejpeg[/img]

[img]webkit-fake-url://382c1f0a-e74a-49f1-8b6c-87af5afe58b3/imagejpeg[/img]
[img]webkit-fake-url://64c38803-964f-4739-ba61-fe4a5312fb82/imagejpeg[/img]

[img]webkit-fake-url://69ab5fb1-0c56-4ffb-97f9-d81198998264/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 10-29-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
At last some more progress , the block cleaned, lower main bearing cap/girdle cranked along with,a,final clean,of crank . Interesting using degreaser and an air line was the amount of crap blown out of the oil ways , having thought is was previously clean.

I can't see your pics Chippo,, the cleaning process can take up hours of your time
Old 10-29-2017, 11:12 AM

Will try and post,again , some thing changed since I last posted
Old 10-29-2017, 11:21 AM

W

Torquing the main bearing bolts , to the OEM values +60degres hence the felt tip marks to make sure all the same

Final,clean and blow through of,the crank oil,way , which were full of crud used whdegreaser seemed like gallons of brake cleaner

Clean block upper main shells in postion

Oil jets in , nice n clean
Old 10-29-2017, 11:31 AM

The 60 degrees was fairly easy to do as of course it is one flat on a hex bolt head.

when torquing the bolts toby did remark didnt seem very tight ! , as he has had lots of experiance rebuilding big truck engines , using 6 ft long torque wrenches .

We did note how hard it is to squeeze Honda bond from the tube !

Stuck the rear crank shaft, oil seal in , was a bit of a fiddle

checked the thrust , about .006"

still amazed the crank spins , with just over .001" clearance in the mains

he's not happy with ring gaps , so is checking with CP tomorrow and maybe ordering another set of rings , he feels the gaps are big and he thinks he did the gapping incorrectly , so start again , I think he said a full set of rings are around £100

So block assembly wrapped up up in cling film again awaiting , rings and piston assemblies

hes decided to fit new cam chain and oil,pump chains along with,a,completely new set of tensioners and guides
Old 10-29-2017, 11:42 AM

Placing the bearing cap/radek in place , the dowels make it a tight fit had enough tapped down with a timber block and hammer

Crank dropped in , bear ings preloaded with Redline engine building lube
Old 10-30-2017, 01:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It certainly looks clean enough!

I do wonder if that is one cause of subsequent failure - lumps of crud coming loose & blocking oil ways.

Once can see how the need for total accuracy is probably the biggest contributor, though.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 AM

Nick , the crank had been cleaned several times before Sunday , blowing brake cleaner through the oil ways with an air line dislodged a shed load of black goo out, also lots of crap came out of blind tapped holes like those for the main bearing cap.

He he also took lots of care following the Honda service manual instructions for lubricating the main bearing cap bolts , both on the threads and seats and of course using the correct lube. He also used a calibrated torture wrench and was again very particular with the 60 degrees of additional turn on each bolt and correct sequence. So each bolt torqued , then marked with a pen on two adjacent corners and on the cap so we could watch how far we went ( my job , dads good for something ).

one think we did have fun with was fitting the rear crank oil seal, there is a special tool for driving it in , basically a tube , we improvised and messed about and got the seal to site at the correct depth. It's a bit like grappling with a live eel !
Old 10-31-2017, 05:14 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Some days I can't even handle the tonneau cover, so I do sympathise...

Quick Reply: Bore Scratches