UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake Bias

Old 06-01-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
Was your first really a MY04? Supposedly the original design of the geometry of the suspension was in part to stop the car diving so much under braking, but that also lead to the slightly twitchy nature of the car. For 04 in addition to softening the springs they changed the wishbones to make it less twitchy, but also meant the car would dive more.
It was a 2004 facelift model, it felt very nice just a touch soft at the rear, that's what appealed about a later car having the slightly stiffer rear

Originally Posted by Gaffa
I certainly would not say my MY04 dives under heavy braking, more like the car squats.so it does sound like its the set up of your MY08 that's questionable does it definitely have stock dampers and springs ?
I'm 99% sure I double checked the coloured dots before refitting then when the Nitrons leaked

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
what front tyres did you and have you got?different sidewalls could alter the feel
Continental Sport Contact 5 all round. Fronts have about 5 mm left, rears were replaced about a month ago.

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Are the rears functioning at 100% ? Mine feels like it's diving a bit more than it used to and I'm planning a rear calliper refurb as a result.
The brakes were done by TGM and Tom took it out for a quick test, the handbrake works as it should but it could be the rears not working fully, will ask them to check it

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
Is it an MY08 car with the stiffer set up, or a late reg'd MY07 on an 08 plate? If it's an MY07, it's got the softest set up of all the variations......
It's on an 08 plate and has the 5 spoke alloys, as said above I believe I checked the coloured marks but will recheck

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Fatbloke' timestamp='1433173757' post='23632033
Is it an MY08 car with the stiffer set up, or a late reg'd MY07 on an 08 plate? If it's an MY07, it's got the softest set up of all the variations......
Not on the front it doesn't (according to the link above).Both the 99 and 02 variants have softer front springs than the '04 and '07 (and the 08 are even stiffer).In general, the trend has been to softer rear springs and stiffer front springs.Of course, the compression characteristics of the dampers are unknown, and those will have a significant effect, too.
The car has done 41k, the shocks were removed and the Nitrons had done 16k, it is possible the fronts are a bit weak. It's not making any nasty noises or any other handling issues that I have noticed.

I know I can get the Nitrons sorted but I had no real issues with the oem stuff just with the new brakes it feels like it dives at the front.

I've been meaning to meet up with the guy that bought my 04 as he is local, so I will hopefully be able to compare them back to back
Old 06-01-2015, 11:44 AM

What tyres where on your previous model?
Old 06-01-2015, 11:50 AM

Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2, edit as I've just remembered I did fit 10mm wider front tyres

Both cars haven't had issues with abs cutting in unless a bit of gravel etc
Old 06-01-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Not on the front it doesn't (according to the link above). Both the 99 and 02 variants have softer front springs than the '04 and '07 (and the 08 are even stiffer). In general, the trend has been to softer rear springs and stiffer front springs. Of course, the compression characteristics of the dampers are unknown, and those will have a significant effect, too.
I stand corrected.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:31 PM

At the weekend i took the pads out and cleaned everything just to be sure, the rear pad was not quite flat, so that may have explained the different feeling. But they are fully bedded in and working well.

This evening I met up with Sparksf20c as he bought my MY04 in October last year. The car has been pampered and has done about 3k in that time Only mod to note is a HFC and I think its a nice addition to the 28mm exhaust mod.

Anyway I explained my thoughts and we both drive each car back to back. My MY08 does feel like it has slightly stiffer rear suspension when coming off speed bumps but they both felt nice. I think the MY08 has marginally better handling but driving my old car felt good as I knew what it would do, so for that I have to say thanks for letting me give it a test.

Both cars front end do 'dive' a bit, so maybe the 350z has thrown my perspective on things.