UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake & Exhaust Upgrade

Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by cheshire_carper' timestamp='1385466476' post='22895298
Why is one calliper a diff price than the other?

Surely one should get recon and px the old back into recon. Over 1k for a pair of simplistic callipers on this sort of car is madness.
Gawd knows.

Getting reconditioned items for £60 each is what I suggest and gave correct links to in post number 3 above.

Dicking around refurbing yourself is a mug's game.

Why are a PS4 and Xbox different prices - they are the same thing...
Disagree about it being a mugs game Simon, learning to service your own car is definitely something a real man should at least have a go at, after all its only Jap crap not an exotic sportcar
Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think refurbing stuff is therapeutic. Obviously it all goes to shit when you can't remove a bolt but once the bolts off the refurb continues. Making broken old things work again is educational and fun.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

There's plenty of improvements you can make whilst refurbing yourself for not much more money, it ain't a mugs game unless you just want them done asap.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by earl's_f20c
Disagree about it being a mugs game Simon, learning to service your own car is definitely something a real man should at least have a go at, after all its only Jap crap not an exotic sportcar
Having seen a lot of quotes from people here who have refurbed and what a pain in the arse it is. For the sake of £50, it just doesn't make any sense, especially for the OP, based on what he's written.

These are quotes from people who are handy at this sort of thing: https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__18533945
https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__18540441
https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__18541986
https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__18328285

This little conversation sums it up nicely: https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__18334106

By all means learn how to do the easy stuff (even I have learned to change the pads) but arsing about with fiddly stuff that takes ages and saves little money is most definitely a mug's game.

In fact, all this can largely be avoided by learning to change the pads and give your brakes a proper clean up once a year.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's certainly not DEFINITELY a mugs game. It's a subjective input/output game. Obviously beauty is subjectively in the eye of the beholder but if the output outweighs the input then mugs game, certainly not.

For the sake of callipers I'd get recon but I have rebuilt before and I found it enjoyable doing so.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:16 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Can anyone confirm how unpleasant it is to have sand in your vagina? Sounds bad.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and the garage info is great to have too!

Unfortunately I cannot advise on sandy vaginas and pleasantry!

However, more on topic...

When I went to collect my car Honda did attempt to free up and the calipers and regrease but it just repeated the lock up. I’ll ask to keep the calipers and see if anything can be done by me or someone on here. Not really had experience with brakes on a car before and as the s2k is my daily runner I can’t afford to have it off the road for long so a quick turnaround was also key. Although I am eager to learn the maintenance aspect brakes such as pad and disc changes – I’m sure I will need to do this more often than last

The OEM caliper price did baffle me as to the difference, but either way, after ummming and erring I’ve bit the bullet and decided to jump ahead and go for the upgrade brakes - I had always planned sometime next year to upgrade so figured this was a perfect excuse, especially with the refurb brakes I’d have to pay labour n top resulting in more than I’d like to pay for second hand brakes which I’d potential be shot off within a year!

Following the thread replies and PMs back and forth I’ve gone with the Spoon caliper set along with the appropriate spacers to allow fitment under my OEM wheels and also making the wheels flush with the body, all-in-all another step closer to how I envisage the car looking.

The next step is to examine the rattle further, but likelihood ATM is that even if it is the CAT, the MPG is on pah with what I would expect to get, and therefore I will leave this element until the spring next year when the MOT is due (Unless the MPG drops drastically at which point a 2nd hand CAT would be my first option)
Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you will need a minimum of 15mm to clear them onn MY00 wheels. So you will need either extended studs or the Project Kics style spacers with studs on them (you may have to drill out the back of the wheels if you go 20mm)

With a total 30mm wider front track id do something similar at the rear.

I use the Spoons on my race car and they are very good, just not easy to find wheels to fit any BBK on the S2000.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:56 AM

Thanks for the advice, Ive ordered the H&R spacers which come with the extended studs, 15mm (30mm total) on front and 20mm (40mm total) on rear, I spoke to Spoons yesterday who advised on the sizes and Hendy Honda who are happy to fit and adjust the GEO.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Banned

Sorry if I'm hijacking!

Just taken stock of a set of these.... Spoon CR93's

17 x 8.5 at the front (wheel weight 9.2kg)
17 x 9.5 at the rear (wheels weight 10.2kg)

Oh and will clear the Spoon caliper's without Spacers....

Blurb...

Spoon Sports CR93 Hyper Silver Wheels. 17X8.5 for the front and 17X9.5 for the rear

New from Spoon Sports, these CR93 wheels are cast aluminum and made from light weight alloy, featuring reinforced spokes while maintaining lightweight and durability. Comes with Spoon Sports logo black center cap with and valve stem with cap.

Finish is Hyper Silver and Size is 17X8.5 +53 offset for the front Wheels and 17X9.5 +63 offset for the rear wheels. The Front Wheels with +53 offset will clear the Spoon Sports MONOBLOCK Calipers.

Quick Reply: Brake & Exhaust Upgrade