UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake fluid

Old 04-05-2014, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone really helps.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Quick question guys, I was gonna get some fluid from work but got the choice of DOT 4 or Dot 4ESP, should I spend double to get the stuff recommended for the S as it has ESP.?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by martin j
Quick question guys, I was gonna get some fluid from work but got the choice of DOT 4 or Dot 4ESP, should I spend double to get the stuff recommended for the S as it has ESP.?
ESP? extra sensory perseption does it know when you are going to brake? Bog standard DOT4 is prefect for a road going S, unless you are upgrading all the rest of the system and running it as a track car there is no point using anything else.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by martin j' timestamp='1396897413' post='23101498
ESP? extra sensory perseption does it know when you are going to brake? Bog standard DOT4 is prefect for a road going S, unless you are upgrading all the rest of the system and running it as a track car there is no point using anything else.

EPS=Electronic Stability Programme or traction control or what ever name you want to use.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by martin j
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1396897804' post='23101513
[quote name='martin j' timestamp='1396897413' post='23101498']

EPS=Electronic Stability Programme or traction control or what ever name you want to use.
[/quote]

Brilliant! Honda specify (and recomend)DOT4 and some marketing genius invents a way to charge twice as much. I'm suprised there isn't an ABS version.

Snake oil.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
I used to alternate between the Castrol Response dot4 and ATE Super blue.
ATE also do a Super Gold so you can tell when it's flushed through when you alternate.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Can also confirm after recently fitting braided lines, ATE super Blue 1L was enough for full flush/bleed, clutch and still have some left.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 PM

What do people recommend is a good time period to swap ATE ? Minimal track usage. Every 6 months, 12 months etc
Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

My golf has an ESP button - I use it to help pick my lottery results.

I think the recommendation to use the cheap stuff to push the air out is a good idea, the ABS block can apparently be tricky to flush the bubbles from, you might want to consider this from robinette http://robrobinette.com/bleeding_the...r_cylinder.htm if you are goign to replace all the hardlines.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
I think the recommendation to use the cheap stuff to push the air out is a good idea, the ABS block can apparently be tricky to flush the bubbles from, you might want to consider this from robinette http://robrobinette.com/bleeding_the...r_cylinder.htm if you are goign to replace all the hardlines.
I think this must have been what happened to me. I changed just the hoses, but couldn't get the brake pedal firm despite about 10 bleeds and a whole lot of brake fluid (started with the expensive stuff, then went for the cheapest I could buy from Halfords, and finally started reusing the stuff that'd just come out). Out of desperation I took it to the Honda dealer, who "had a go" and got it a bit better but it was still pretty spongey. I lived with it for a month or so and then did a half-trackday where the fluid boiled horribly with the pedal going straight to the floor - not a fun experience.

After that I bled the brakes once more, and they were great. And have stayed that way ever since. It must have been the trackday abuse that finally got the air out.

You can replace the fluid with a 1/2 litre bottle; I've done it lots of times.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid