UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake fluid self bleeding kit

Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brake fluid self bleeding kit

Has anyone used these and how did it work out? And how long did it?

I think gunson make one? And it attaches to the tyre?

Can anyone recommend any brake fluid apart from motul? (I have rbf600 but don't like the limited life due to being dot4).

Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used many of these kits in the past, and they're sh1te...even air powered systems that supposedly just suck air out, and not the fluid

Nothing beats the two man system...you just don't get the same effect with anything else.

Surely one of your man-bitches could help you out?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, I read the gunson one was good due pushing air out attaching to the reservoir.

No one to help unfortunately mate, all of my mates are generally mechanical retards/not interested in cars.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried a hand pump one when i fitted my front and rear BBKs.

It worked but moves a very small amount volume for the effort. Plus the seal was starting to leak by the time i was finished. The kit was a sealey one for about £30.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed my brake fluid the weekend before last. I'm using ATE Super Blue at the moment as the spec is nearly as good as RBF600 but it's only half the price. Plus it's blue so you can tell when you've bled it all the way through.

I think it's DOT 4. No idea about the lifespan. I've done one sprint with it so far and it seemed good with otherwise standard brakes but obviously sprints aren't very hard on brakes as they're only 1/2 laps.

I used an ancient bleeding kit from Halfords which comprises a tube with a one-way valve on the end (ball bearing type). It's supposed to be able to be used by one person but I cheated and got my wife to do the pedalling.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used some kit on a clio a while back I got from halfords. Attatch it to a spare tyre and onto the resevoir, making bleeding piss easy. It didnt fit an S2000 so when doing it myself at the weekend I just made a line going from the bleed nipple into a bottle half full of brake fluid, then peddle pressed 25 times for each corner until I was happy the air in the system was gone.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't think the Gunson one has a cap to fit the S2000 reservoir.

Which is a shame, because they were good for expunging troublesome airlocks. X-1/9 clutches were impossible to bleed without it.

I tend to finish off with a broomhandle on the pedal & a quick squirt, though.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

number of presses shouldnt matter, aslong as the colour of the fluid changes and there is no visible air. i tend to suck the reservoir fluid out, fill with fresh and then all thats left is pushing it through the pipes.

my bleeding kit is still 2 man, but it involves a rubber pipe, a bolt in the end and a slit in the side, so it acts like a 1 way valve. cheap and effective.

1 man bleeding kits (imo) are fine if your just doing a change, but if you do have air in the system, then they are not that effective.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irvatron
OK, I read the gunson one was good due pushing air out attaching to the reservoir.

No one to help unfortunately mate, all of my mates are generally mechanical retards/not interested in cars.
They don't need to be. All they'd be doing is pressing down the brake pedal on command.

Surely it should be just "mates" helping you out.

Do you have an other half or a friendly neighbour?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used one once on my FTO. I'd borrowed it off another owner who'd fashioned a compatible cap for it, which I then had to have another go at sealing. And it was maximum 20psi, so not quite as convenient as you think as first you have to let the air out of your spare tyre.

Worked okay, but I've always done mine since one-man with a pipe with a valve in it. As long as you don't open the bleed screws too much it's fine.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid self bleeding kit