UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake kit options

Old 10-04-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KIP
Thanks, the pedal doesn't sink to the floor like I've had in previous cars, there's just a bit of initial travel before the brakes start to bite properly.

Do you think it could be the disc not coping with the heat rather than the pad? Both rear pads (and calipers!) have discoloured now, and the front pads don't look in great shape either. I can't really tell 100% though as I've not had the wheels off yet.
Calipers will discolour, they always do, they will start flaking at some point and they look even worse then
If the pads don't look like they are in great shape I would say they are cooked and run beyond the operating temps, and some more suitable pads should sort the problem.

Disc's should be fine and cope with the heat, many feel the judder from pad deposits as warped discs but usually it's the pad that's the issue. The only reason I got the PF 2 Piece discs was that I know they last well and run quieter with carbotech's for some reason, maybe its the floating discs or the disc material.

I ran some cheap camskill discs with some XP10s a while ago on my previous Evo and the discs where worn by the end of the trackday and I had metal fillings all over my wheels and all down the side of the car, not once did they feel warped and never lost the pedal but they just wore down very quickly.

Also consider sorting some cooling out as it will also reduce the wear on discs and pads.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got really bad pad deposits on the discs last time out. Horrible judder and pedal would have more travel until a bit of heat back in pads. Ds2500s. They're still fine normal road use but I've bought some cl rc6's and new discs I'm going to run on track.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the detailed responses. I'll get TGM to look at the rear calipers, and front/rear pads. The reason I mentioned the rear calipers is that the wheels got so hot the center caps popped out! I ran XP8's on my Evo IX with PF 2 piece discs, very good combination but I never got the chance to try it on track properly.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want brakes to stop you and to look nice ?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yorkies2k
I got really bad pad deposits on the discs last time out. Horrible judder and pedal would have more travel until a bit of heat back in pads. Ds2500s. They're still fine normal road use but I've bought some cl rc6's and new discs I'm going to run on track.
I always had this with mine, main reason is the ds2500s get too hot.

First thing I would do is put install some cooling ducts and then you'll be fine running the standard discs.

In fact without cooling those pads will leave deposits on whatever discs you use so changing for aftermarket discs will give you the same result.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, the verdict is in from TGM:

Rear right caliper seized.
Rear left caliper sticking
All pads nigh on at metal.

So, some Brembo HC2000's are going in (it's all he's got in stock for me to get the car back this weekend), new rear calipers and a brake fluid change. Let's hope these pads last longer than 3 months.