UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Braking improved with pads or just placebo

Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Braking improved with pads or just placebo

Recently fitted some new front pads (yellow stuff - thanks raz) which i have just worn in following the wear in procedure.

Maybe it's a placebo but it seemed to stop a little quicker and sqid easier - i head the front tyre at say 50mph braking sharply.

However, my front pads only had 2mm left on but i never got them to fade really with my driving.

Improved or just placebo?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use yellowstuff on my track CRX and they are significantly better than the blueprint ones I had previously been using. Not only did they seem to brake better for the same pedal pressure but they can take a lot more heat before they start to fade, even after 30 minutes on Cadwell they didn't show signs of fading.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop a little quicker than OEM pads? Sorry but it's obvious that aftermarket upgraded discs and pads make a world of difference.

If you are suprised by the abilities of EBC stuff then you would be literally blown away driving a car with a Dixcel set up.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBes2k
Stop a little quicker than OEM pads? Sorry but it's obvious that aftermarket upgraded discs and pads make a world of difference.

If you are suprised by the abilities of EBC stuff then you would be literally blown away driving a car with a Dixcel set up.

Thanks surfercrx.

Dan, i've heard OEM a very good apart from fade and i dont have aftermarket discs.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I think they bite better warmed up but pads on 2mmare fooked, hadn't they started to crack and fall apart?

oem fade badly and easily ime
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Improved because new and hence (a) not heat cycled umpteen times and (b) more than 2mm between the discs and the pistons, fluid etc.

The OG pads aren't bad at all in my experience. I'm not hard on brakes though and don't have a S/C!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:48 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Ultimate braking is determined by your tyres, not your discs and pads. However, if your pads/discs were shagged, then you'll notice the difference.

My Dixcels bite harder for less pedal pressure, an withstand repeated abuse better than OEM, but they won't stop quicker.

So, yes, a placebo in that better braking is easier to access with better pads/discs, so it feels like you are stopping more quickly, even though you could technically achieve the same with more pedal pressure and "lesser" pads/discs.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:54 PM

I don't mean to sound aggresive or argumentative but lovegroova how do you come to the conclusion the car will not stop quicker?

With my dixcels I can brake later with less effort, If I were to approach the same corner with my oem equipment I would have to brake earlier to achieve the same desired entry speed, therefore the dixcels slow the car faster?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM

Old 03-15-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBes2k
I don't mean to sound aggresive or argumentative but lovegroova how do you come to the conclusion the car will not stop quicker?

With my dixcels I can brake later with less effort, If I were to approach the same corner with my oem equipment I would have to brake earlier to achieve the same desired entry speed, therefore the dixcels slow the car faster?
Dan - the car will stop fastest if you're riding the OEM Antilock limit. It's easy to find, it throbs the pedal!

Quick Reply: Braking improved with pads or just placebo