UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Braking performance

Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Braking performance

I had the rear pads replaced a few weeks a go and since then I've noticed a drop in braking performance. Before, I only had to use light pressure on the pedal to get immediate and reassuring retardation. Now the deceleration is less aggressive and I have to use more pressure to get the same effect. I'm quite surprised at the difference as I thought the front brakes did most of the braking and the rear brakes come in when braking really hard, is this correct? I've lost a bit of confidence in the car and don't enjoy driving it as much as I did as a result of the poor braking performance.
I read a post on another thread about a bedding in process but it didn't go into detail. I didn't do anything special or alter my driving style after the pads were fitted. Any suggestions as to what I can do to get the brakes working at maximum efficiency again?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

100-200 miles to bed in rears (less on the fronts as you can be a bit more agressive), what brand pads have you had fitted. And are you happy with the brake fluid, were they bled when you got them done?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell when my rear brakes are sticking because the pedal feels lovely and firm and the brakes are really sharp and responsive. It may be that they're now working properly.

All the brakes do the braking. There's a front bias, but not as much as an FWD car and the rears do make a big difference to the feel and stopping power.

As Rich says, which pads? If you went from more racey pads like Ferodos to more road like pads, you'd expect to have to press a bit harder and a less immediate response.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 AM

Pads do take a while to bed in. Remember, that the pad has to contour itself to the detail of the disc and this takes time.

Nout wrong, continue motoring
Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 AM

Did you bleed the brakes at all ?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by richmc,Feb 23 2011, 09:23 AM
100-200 miles to bed in rears (less on the fronts as you can be a bit more agressive), what brand pads have you had fitted. And are you happy with the brake fluid, were they bled when you got them done?
Not sure on the brand of pads as kwikfit did them when they replaced the rear tyres. I only went in to get a puncture repaired! I wasn't able to check fluid type or bleeding procedure as I had a business meeting to go to so left car and collected at EOD.
On the upside I now have free replacement rear pads for life!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by FistralG,Feb 23 2011, 03:36 PM
Not sure on the brand of pads as kwikfit did them when they replaced the rear tyres. I only went in to get a puncture repaired! I wasn't able to check fluid type or bleeding procedure as I had a business meeting to go to so left car and collected at EOD.
On the upside I now have free replacement rear pads for life!
Ah. Sure they used pukka pads rather than milk chocolate ones?

I would use either genuine ones or what is recommended on this forum.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

I supply our local Kwik Craps with stuff and they get Pagid braking equipment, if you're not happy go back and get them to test the car on the mot brake tester.?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by martin j,Feb 23 2011, 07:31 PM
I supply our local Kwik Craps with stuff and they get Pagid braking equipment, if you're not happy go back and get them to test the car on the mot brake tester.?
The trouble with using an MOT brake tester is:-

1/ It will tell you that the front and rear brakes are working ( or not ) but it won't tell you how well the rears are working relative to the fronts, and

2/ the S2000 has a limited slip rear differential and shouldn't be put on a rolling road brake tester.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll try getting a local garage to bleed the brakes as a first step to see if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Braking performance