UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bringing USDM S2000 to the UK

Old 09-29-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing USDM S2000 to the UK

I've ready a couple different things about bringing my S2000 with me when I move to RAF Lakenheath. I know I'll need to add the rear fog lamp but what are some of the biggest problems you guys face during the MOT? I saw this link.... Two more startling reasons where Reg Plates and Road Wheels. Standard Registration plates will not fail an MOT but customise your own and your in for trouble. Same goes for wheels. They must be the standard wheels for the car. The road holding, speedometer and gearing etc. are all designed around a specific sized wheel and changing this can cause MOT failures as well as damage. Again both items are easily checked.

Can you not have non-factory wheels when you get your MOT?

Any input is appreciated as I'd like my car to be up to par before I bring it with me.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nappyboy28
I've ready a couple different things about bringing my S2000 with me when I move to RAF Lakenheath. I know I'll need to add the rear fog lamp but what are some of the biggest problems you guys face during the MOT? I saw this link.... Two more startling reasons where Reg Plates and Road Wheels. Standard Registration plates will not fail an MOT but customise your own and your in for trouble. Same goes for wheels. They must be the standard wheels for the car. The road holding, speedometer and gearing etc. are all designed around a specific sized wheel and changing this can cause MOT failures as well as damage. Again both items are easily checked.

Can you not have non-factory wheels when you get your MOT?

Any input is appreciated as I'd like my car to be up to par before I bring it with me.
That didn't actually appear as a link, but googling the text took me to the website. If you look here wikipedia has a reasonably good description of number plate regs. If you get you plates from a reputable supplier, they will be legal. If you decide on your own fancy font, or change the font size, then it's a MOT fail. As for wheel sizes, I don't believe that statement for a second. If it were true, then all the aftermarket wheel shops in the UK are breaking the law, as are a good number of people on this forum. You can find the MOT guidelines here, . If you are bringing a US spec vehicle to the UK, then lights will probably be your biggest issue. I had a US TR6 years ago, and the only thing I had to do was to change the headlights so they dipped to the left, and convert the amber side running lights to indicators. Apart from having the steering wheel on the wrong side, that was it. I'm sure that there are others with more detailed knowledge of the MOT test and importing a vehicle to the UK on the forum though.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Thank you for the information - what do you mean the lights dipped to the left? Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:47 PM

I guess the air force is flying the car over for you? Because if not, you might like to look at the price of used s2k in the UK, you can pick up early good ones for less than £5k now which might be easier...
Old 09-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nappyboy28
Thank you for the information - what do you mean the lights dipped to the left? Sorry for my ignorance.
In the US, your headlights on dipped beam dip to the right. In the UK, as we drive on the left, they dip to the left.
As it's a function of the design of the headlight reflectors, you will have to change the headlights. In the UK, we can buy beam deflectors that stick on the headlights to prevent dazzling oncoming cars should we decide to drive over to Europe (where they drive on the wrong side :-)) but I must admit I've never seen foreign cars over here in the UK with deflectors. I don't think they would get through an MOT though.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Dude, there is a company in Mildenhall that will change everything you need to i know they deal primarily with the USAF guys around Mildenhall and Lakenheath so i dont think you have anything to worry about. there are a few AP1's andAP2;s around here already so if they can do it im sure you can :0)

Good luck buddy and i'll keep my eyes peeled around here for you
Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 PM

The Air Force does ship it for me. Also its almost paid off so I don't want to sell it :/ I will try and get a hold of my sponsor overseas and see if he can give me some more information - its sounding like the only thing that I will need is a head light modification. If not I would paypal one of you guys some Euros if you could stop by local shop and get the information for me or just let me know the shops info and I'll contact them. Thanks a bunch guys. I'll be there in May so hopefully we can meet up and you can laugh at my car with the steering on the wrong side
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did an mot on a German import/registered Mercedes a few months back, all it needed was uk headlights and the offside rear fog light wiring up as it only had the nearside fog working, still had the German reg plates on it. Aftermarket wheels are fine for the mot as long as they don't rub on the bodywork/suspension etc
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 PM

Pounds Sterling is the currency in the UK. Not the disaster zone that is the Euro, thankfully.

You may need to write to Honda UK and get a CE certificate but only if you want to register the car in the UK. Maybe.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:35 AM

I mot'd a usa car a few years ago very easy,sort the headlights and rear fog like and side indicators,you can mot the car on the chassis number,once mot'd apply for new log book from dvla and take car with you on a trailer to be looked over by dvla,dont cost much to sort it out and also make sure you get age related number plate as they can put it on a Q plate,once new log book issued get new number plates made put them on sort insurance job done.. . .as long as wheels are same size frontt and rear no probs on mot and using same tyres not mixed one on front or rear....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022583

http://www.american-cars-import.co.uk/mot-inspections/

Quick Reply: Bringing USDM S2000 to the UK