UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Building a Garage

Old 03-31-2003, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Building a Garage

I am currently looking into getting either extension on my property including garage and extending upstairs, or simply a garage on the side.

I have enough room at the side of my house for a double garage and have had a quick look round places like Compton on the web etc.

Does anyone have any experience of putting a new double garage up - recommendations etc?

Is there a difference in planning permission if i do 1 story bs 2 storeys?

Compton look like almost put it together yourself, rather than a proper building with foundations etc, whats the pros/cons of using something like that vs a 'proper' builder?

Anyone in the area know of people like architects/planners/builders who would offer a good value good quality service should i wish to proceed further?

Cheers
Old 03-31-2003, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian,

If you go for just a double garage I believe building regs state that you must provide foundations for a two storey building anyway.
IMHO if you can afford it ,go for a pukka built garage matching the fabric of your property, it will enhance the resale value more than a "kit" type.

I have the phone numbers of a few local builders, will sort them out for Thursday evening. Your only problem may be getting a builder who is not booked up for the summer, they can be as rare as a thread without Aquilla Eagle on it.

See you Thursday

Ken
Old 03-31-2003, 02:50 AM

architects????!! I know one of those!!..............Sam!! I would get her to do a survey and drawings but I am afraid you are a little far away mate!! (although a good excuse for a drive!!!)

Still If you have any planning questions I am sure she can help you! I will show her this post!!

Laters............

Edd
Old 03-31-2003, 03:56 AM

AquilaEagle, I work in bedford for an Architects - i'm more than happy to do you a set of both planning and working drawings for minimal cost - I could if you want give you the names of some Architects and/or techs i work with and know who closer.

Just give us a shout
Old 03-31-2003, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the help so far guys. Lou you have a PM Ken see you on Thursday Edd look forward to hearing from Sam
Old 03-31-2003, 06:06 AM

We had a double garage built specially to house the S and used a "Yellow Pages" architect and local builders/roof men etc. The longest delay was obtaining planning permission and conforming with building regulations with the council and they had to come out and inspect the foundations before we could continue and also the brickwork before we could put the roof on (is a VERY large double garage). Also we didn't order the doors until the apertures were built as we were advised against it and so were subject to a 4 week wait before the doors were installed!

Not that this really helps you

Anyway enjoy your new garage once it's built

PL x
Old 03-31-2003, 09:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The basic rule is:

If there is enough space around your property, then a double garage with playroom/office/etc above is probably a good investment.

If it makes your house look ridiculously huge next to its neighbours, it will increase its value less. In which case, either build a smaller garage, or consider moving to a larger property.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:02 PM

Hi ya mate
I've just been sat in front of the pc & told to type!!!
First things first is your house end terrace or semi or detatched if it is one of the latter two you can build up to 70m3 to your property without planning permission. This is an advantage as it will save you approx 85.00 in planning fees and approx 8 week wait for permission. Drawings will be cheaper as the arch wont have to get it through planning for you but not much as all you need for planning is site plan elevations and plans both existing and proposed and a few five mins notes on finshes (unless your in a conservation area) you need this for Building regs anyway. In order for it to be exept from planning you need to have had no work done to your house since it was built this includes previous owners works conservatories porches etc all count, check your deeds!!!
Assuming it doesnt and the work you propose is less than 70m3 all you need is building regs drawings. You can start building within 24hrs of this application being submitted and aknowledged as long as you notify them. Building Control will inspect most stages of the work anything that doesn't comply they will stop. They dont have to tell you how to comply though so sometimes it pays to get full approval before you start although we didnt as we needed to start prior to April 02 as regs changed but you dont need to worry about that. I can send you all stages of inspection ie foundation depth is one insulation etc. Without planning or building regs if applicable they can get you to knock it down!!!.
Double garage will probably be within your ermitted developemenmt (PD) depending on roof and so long as it isnt any nearer to highway than ex house or If its more than 5m away from house its exempt anyway. Building regs will cost about 85.00 for application then about 225.00 when you start for inspections. Drawings for a garage if someone does as PJ shouldnt cost you more than 200.00 & you pay application fees. It will cost more from a practice they will charge you RIBA scale of works fees which is around 17% of estimated build cost nice sum!!!!That pays my wage. Before you look at anything though have a chat with an estate agent and ask them what your house with ext ension or garage will be worth and see if its viable you may find it cheaper to move if you cant get cheap quotes for work as theyve said brickies are gold dust Ive waited from Nov for my man to do a 2 day garden wall as he did my extension, others are double the price. Edds said Ive wrote enough and hes right if you want more info PM me pics are always good

Sam
Old 04-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Sam thanks - I haven't taken all that in right now but I will re-visit. Sounds encouraging I am semi, but I wouldnt have a clue how big 70m3 is Is that the size of a double garage?
Old 04-04-2003, 03:11 AM

Ah a semi!.................join the club. I think in that case your permitted development is 50m sq.
I think!! Well thats how big the bloody kitchen Sam made me build on the back of ours is!! I will consult the Oracle for you and get her to leave another message. (Unlike me she has a proper job and can't mess about on the net all day!!)

Laters

Edd

Quick Reply: Building a Garage