UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bush replacment on axel stands...

Old 04-08-2012, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bush replacment on axel stands...

After having the geo setup on my car by Dixon last year and finding out that the front bushes were seized I've been saving to get it fixed. After a lot of reading I decided that I would replace all of the bushes on the car myself including cutting the front wishbones free. Now I'm quite familiar with this side of car repairs. After crashing my Vauxhall Nova (everyone my age did!) I cut the front panels off and replaced it with a newer model fitting the wings, bonnet, headlights that were required. So I thought I was prepared for what was in store!

To make sure I was prepared I purchased the following
  • New front bolts from the US
  • Full PowerFlex bush kit
  • Bosch PSA 900 Reciprocating Sabre Saw
  • 10 Bosch S920CF 6" Blades (theses are listed as heavy duty, suitable for rescue/ demolition work!!!)
  • New droplinks
  • New tie rod ends
  • Ball joint splitter
  • Bosch angle grinder
  • 10 cutting and 10 grinding discs
  • Lots of plusgas
  • Good goggles!
So after spending nearly £800 on parts I started with the rear which wasn't seized. I had sprayed all bolts several times over the previous week with Plusgas to help with removal.

Day 1 - Afternoon
I quickly realised that my 1/2" wrench wasn't up to the job of removing ANY of the bolts and a LONG breaker bar was going to be needed. That was day 1 over with as quickly as it started.

Day 2
After a quick trip to Halfords and picking up a 600mm breaker bar I set to work. Everything came apart smoothly where I could fit the breaker bar. Being on axle stands there wasn't a huge amount of room under the car so there were 2-3 bolts that required a LOT of elbow grease to remove without the breaker bar. Within a couple of hours I had taken apart the O/S of the car and was feeling VERY confident!

On with the N/S. My confidence was quickly smashed after realising that one of the bolts had seized since last year. Out came the beast of an electric sabre saw and one of the demolition/search and rescue blades. Plenty of room to get the first cut under way and so I began. After 2-3 minutes I looked at the blade which was already blunt 3 blades and 30 minutes later the first cut was finished. I realised at this point that I wouldn't be attempting the front myself and would be handing the car over to Dixon in the near future! The second cut used the further 6 blades I had left and another 1.5 hours of my life which I will never get back!

So there I was. 2 days in with the wishbones off the car ready for the bushes to be removed. The hard part was over...so I thought!

Day 3
After buying a 40mm socket and M12 threaded rod I went about making a simple bush removal tool. Put a small socket on the bush, the large socket on the back of the wishbone to accept the old bush, thread the rod through and screw down a couple of bolts. Again I quickly realised this wouldn't be an easy job. With the wishbone securely clamped I went about tightening the bolts using my 600mm breaker bar. Quickly there was a loud bang which I soon realised wasn't the bush falling out but rather the threaded rod snapping in two

My next attempt would be to burn the buses out followed by using the second threaded rod I had purchased to push the centre out. This worked well and I quickly had the inner part of the bushes removed from the rear toe arms. I did the same on the first upper wishbone which resulted in the threaded rod being stripped and requiring the angle grinder to remove it.

At this point I had given up. I had another 8 bushes to remove and the two outer sleeves to remove from the toe arms and I realised I was way over my head!

I don't know if it was a lack of tools, skill, strength, patience, or all them but this wasn't a job I was going to be able to finish. I phoned 3-5 garages and only 2 said they would take a look at the bushes and "give it a go". I quickly got onto s2ki and after messaging Dixon (who is currently away in France) agreed to take the wishbones over to him on Tuesday to have the bushes removed. This should leave me to paint, copper-grease and refit my wishbones.

Day 6
My car is still on axle stands and will be for another week. All I can do is write how badly I failed to let anyone know that when people have said that this is the worst job they've done on a car...they aren't kidding!!!

It's not all bad news though. In 2 months time I will have had all of the bushes replaced and the car will handle better than it ever has since I've owned it. My wallet will be a lot lighter but its a small price to pay for how much this car makes me smile.

I would also like to add that prior to starting this I had spend 3 days fitting a new kitchen which might not have helped with my lack of patience and strength. Although I'm just trying to make myself feel better and I still don't think I could do this job on my own with the car on axle stands
Old 04-08-2012, 03:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pah its not that bad me and my mate did all my bushes on axle stands it is a PITA but it can be done.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:05 AM

Jesus, sounds like you had a nightmare!!

I find it amazing that people are struggling with these saws - the one Ray used on mine cut bolts in about two mins?!
Also, burning out bushes is definitely easier than trying to press them out - we struggled, even with a 20 tonner!

Fair play to you for having a go at this - especially on axle stands!!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:17 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I did mine with just and angle grinder laid in my back garden in the middle of December. I replaced the full arms though with new ones from the US.

Horrible job.

I've got to take all mine apart again as I've got a knocking at rear which I just can't find, I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:22 AM

Good on you for giving it a go even if you didn't finish it. If nothing else you can say you've gained some valuable experience and knowledge.

I'm going to be doing my lower wishbones diy (ish), cutting all bolts and getting a garage to press/burn the bushes out for me. Well that's the plan anyway, we will see if it goes into practise...
Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 AM

I'm hoping to tackle this on axle stands this coming week. I'll be praying it doesn't rain too cause I haven't got a garage..... Fingers crossed it'll be ok. I checked them last year and have bought what I think I'll need. The ones that were free then should still be free now as I took them out and copper greased them. Hope it goes smoother than it did for you. Sounds like you had a right mare. I have got some good big tools and a dad who is old school mechanic, so should be fine.......famous last words eh.....

Chad.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:54 AM

Removing it all and giving it to a garage to press the bushes out is the way to go.

I have done bush removals/refits on axle stands and vice.

I think my most comedy moment was fitting rear trailing arm bushes on a Civic. First one took me a hour. Second one took me 3 minutes

Just been doing a DC2 and had a biatch of a job with the rear toe arms including removing the shield on the grinder and using an oversized disc.

Mmmm, finger removal territory!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
I've got to take all mine apart again as I've got a knocking at rear which I just can't find, I'm not looking forward to it.
If you've got aftermarket toe arms, it could well be the bearings. T1Rs are renowned for knocking.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 AM

It is the worst job I've partaken in doing on a car. It's about a 20 hour job in total. Most of my bushes were seized. Caster/camber bolt on the front was a bitch to cut.
All I can say is to anyone that is going to tackle it, you need patience!!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust
Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM' timestamp='1333883871' post='21586964
If you've got aftermarket toe arms, it could well be the bearings. T1Rs are renowned for knocking.
I agree, I've got T1R's aswell. They look ok but I won't know until I have a good look underneath. I've only done about 3k on them.

Over big bumps it sound like the subframe is loose or something. Right pain in the ass.

Quick Reply: Bush replacment on axel stands...