UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bushes 'n' stuff

Old 09-14-2017, 02:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bushes 'n' stuff

Usual disclaimer - sorry LG, I searched buy there's so many threads about bushes that it's hard to know where to start...

I've got a seized rear camber adjuster, so I'm going to replace with a poly bush. I'll get the other side done as well, but am I right to think it would be appropriate to get all four of the lower arm bushes replaced, rather than have a mishmash of rubber and poly bushes on the same arm?

Also, am I right to think the adjusters don't come with the bush, they're bought separately?

I'm thinking that I'll then get all the other bushes, front and rear, done either arm by arm as an ongoing project, or as and when they seize and need replacing, or is it a case of all or nothing???

Cheers,
FB
Old 09-14-2017, 02:42 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
Usual disclaimer - sorry LG, I searched buy there's so many threads about bushes that it's hard to know where to start...

I've got a seized rear camber adjuster, so I'm going to replace with a poly bush. I'll get the other side done as well, but am I right to think it would be appropriate to get all four of the lower arm bushes replaced, rather than have a mishmash of rubber and poly bushes on the same arm? I cant see there being a problem bar maybe wearing the old ones quicker, if the arms are out id do them too to save on labour.

Also, am I right to think the adjusters don't come with the bush, they're bought separately? Yup, US Honda, Tegiwa, Hendy, etc.

I'm thinking that I'll then get all the other bushes, front and rear, done either arm by arm as an ongoing project, or as and when they seize and need replacing, or is it a case of all or nothing??? I did all the lower first on mine, will do upper in time. Reason for that was the castor bushes being all cracked.

Cheers,
FB
^^^
Old 09-14-2017, 02:53 AM

Thanks very much - that's a great help
Old 09-14-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

The front bush of the rear lower arm doesn't seem to wear as much as the rear bush, I went with polys on the rear wishbone bush and the rear control arm and kept the original on the front and suspension mount. If I were doing it again I'd consider trying to get a wishbones with all new rubber from the place that some people have been sourcing their front arms from ? www.importcarparts.co.uk I've no idea if they can get them though.

...oh and the anti-roll bar drop links will be a right PITA and probably need cutting off, so maybe budget some of them in too
Old 09-14-2017, 06:14 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish TuneR
^^^
>>>> <<<<
Any better?
Seriously I'd talk to someone like Ray, it's always going to be better to match sides etc.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Matching sides but only planning to do the rear lower arm front bush on each, following Irish Tuner's comments....

Drop links are healthy, Ben. Never had much trouble replacing them in the past on the last S anyway
Old 09-15-2017, 01:06 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Stick to a rubber type bush. From the likes of Mugen. That said, Powerflex do a rubber type one now.

Problem is using a polybush in place of the rubber compliance bush, is that the polybush offers NO compliance whatsoever. Basically a terrible quality ride.

Also bare in mind Polybushes are not fit and forget and require greasing every few months or you'll get terrible squeaking and a deformed bush over time.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I live not far away (Ferndown) and have just gone through this procedure although I went for the rubber replacements from Mugen. However, Mugen don't make the forward rear lower control arm bushing (I was told) but that one doesn't tend to get seized (there is not an adjustment bolt there) so that bushing stayed. All my adjustment bolts were seized (front and rear, 8 bolts total (well actually 6 bolts and the 2 castor sleeves!)) and I replaced the suspension bushings whilst I was there too (so 12 bushings replaced total). Thanks to this site there is loads of info so following what others have done I cut all the seized bolts out with a reciprocating saw then bought a £50 6-tonne press from ebay to remove and replace the bushings. Also had to cut out all of drop links bar one but my car is corroded underneath, I can see how a car with less corrosion wouldn't have that problem.

I can't comment on whether having a poly bushing on the rear lower control arms would have any adverse effects but if you want to avoid the risk the Mugen ones look identical to the originals to my eye at least!

Last edited by tumblindice; 09-15-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree about fitting rubber bushes - I had nylatron bushes on my Elise and they were never quiet, used to drive me mad. They do need ongoing greasing and are not fit and forget as mentioned.

If I had the choice I would go OEM next time. No doubt.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:49 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Stick to a rubber type bush. From the likes of Mugen. That said, Powerflex do a rubber type one now.
Problem is using a polybush in place of the rubber compliance bush, is that the polybush offers NO compliance whatsoever. Basically a terrible quality ride.
Also bare in mind Polybushes are not fit and forget and require greasing every few months or you'll get terrible squeaking and a deformed bush over time.
Powerflex rubber bushings, where did you see that?
The Powerflex compliance bushing is poly and offers full compliance since it's pillow ball design, but there are many other manufactures that indeed have an awful design for that joint.

Quick Reply: Bushes 'n' stuff