UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bushes 'n' stuff

Old 09-15-2017, 03:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can only find Mugen bushes for front compliance and rear control arms. I need the front most bush on the rear lower wishbone.

If there's a rubber option, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
FB
Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one circled above in blue is the forward most bushing on the rear lower control arm. This one is not an adjustment bolt and it would seem the least likely to get seized (all my other lower control arm bolts were seized on my car except this one on both sides). For this reason it is also the only one that Mugen/Spoon do not make (I am told at least). Mugen do make the bushing circled in red and is the one that seems more likely to seize and require cutting out with along with the bolt. I got them from Hendy (part number in the image).

You are saying your rear camber adjustment bolt is seized and you want to replace the forward most rear lower control arm bushing (blue above). However I'm pretty sure there is no adjuster on the forward most one. Do you mean the rear (red) one?

Hope this helps!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:38 AM

OK, you've found the fatal flaw in my plan. I need the rear bush not the front one.

Looked at the parts diagram and didn't give a second thought to which way around it was drawn.:egads

Thanks all, especially Tumbldice

Last edited by Fatbloke; 09-15-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tumblindice
Hi,

I live not far away (Ferndown) and have just gone through this procedure although I went for the rubber replacements from Mugen. However, Mugen don't make the forward rear lower control arm bushing (I was told) but that one doesn't tend to get seized (there is not an adjustment bolt there) so that bushing stayed. All my adjustment bolts were seized (front and rear, 8 bolts total (well actually 6 bolts and the 2 castor sleeves!)) and I replaced the suspension bushings whilst I was there too (so 12 bushings replaced total). Thanks to this site there is loads of info so following what others have done I cut all the seized bolts out with a reciprocating saw then bought a £50 6-tonne press from ebay to remove and replace the bushings. Also had to cut out all of drop links bar one but my car is corroded underneath, I can see how a car with less corrosion wouldn't have that problem.

I can't comment on whether having a poly bushing on the rear lower control arms would have any adverse effects but if you want to avoid the risk the Mugen ones look identical to the originals to my eye at least!
Hello,

was a 6 tonne press enough? Or would you recommend a 10 tonne press?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend a 10-tonne press.There were two bushings my 6-tonne press couldn't budge although I'm almost certain it was again to do with the corrosion on my car because once they initially cracked free it could push them out easily (it can push all the new ones in easily). It was still useful with the stuck ones though because I could push the centres out, breaking the rubber, then I could cut the remaining metal outer with a saw then push them out easily. The most stuck ones for me were the forward most ones on the front lower arms which are a pain anyway because you have to cut a lip back to get them to rest on your press in the right place... to be honest the whole process was fun and games with a bit of head scratching along the way the get the arms in the right place in the press (rear lower arm shock bushings spring to mind here) but got there in the end!!
Old 09-17-2017, 12:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Do apologise Fatbloke. Misread that for Front lower rear bush! as in front of the car!
Old 09-17-2017, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Do apologise Fatbloke. Misread that for Front lower rear bush! as in front of the car!
No problem, I guessed
Old 09-17-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tumblindice
I'd recommend a 10-tonne press.There were two bushings my 6-tonne press couldn't budge although I'm almost certain it was again to do with the corrosion on my car because once they initially cracked free it could push them out easily (it can push all the new ones in easily). It was still useful with the stuck ones though because I could push the centres out, breaking the rubber, then I could cut the remaining metal outer with a saw then push them out easily. The most stuck ones for me were the forward most ones on the front lower arms which are a pain anyway because you have to cut a lip back to get them to rest on your press in the right place... to be honest the whole process was fun and games with a bit of head scratching along the way the get the arms in the right place in the press (rear lower arm shock bushings spring to mind here) but got there in the end!!
Ok thanks for the info. I'm going to be doing this job over winter so any tips and advice are very welcome. Yeah I've heard that it's a big task to do but all worth it in the end.
How do your car feel now? What make bushes did you use? I want as OEM as possible.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
I can only find Mugen bushes for front compliance and rear control arms. I need the front most bush on the rear lower wishbone.

If there's a rubber option, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
FB
Hardrace do a bunch of rubber OE style bushes, I've not personally used these myself yet but I've read good things, I'm probably going to use them during my suspension rebuild.

https://h-tune.co.uk/catalogsearch/r...s2000+hardrace

Edit: posted a bit too soon here... looks like they don't list a rear lower front bush either, only a pillowball version:
https://h-tune.co.uk/hardrace-rear-l...s-honda-s2000/
Old 09-18-2017, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Andy_F
Hardrace do a bunch of rubber OE style bushes, I've not personally used these myself yet but I've read good things, I'm probably going to use them during my suspension rebuild.

https://h-tune.co.uk/catalogsearch/r...s2000+hardrace

Edit: posted a bit too soon here... looks like they don't list a rear lower front bush either, only a pillowball version:
https://h-tune.co.uk/hardrace-rear-l...s-honda-s2000/
I actually needed the 'rear rear' bush. I've ordered Mugen from Hendy.

Quick Reply: Bushes 'n' stuff