UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying a 2008 S2K

Old 03-23-2018, 02:19 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The airbag cover does go shiny if you spray too much crap onto it - I've made that mistake before.

Honda seems to use 1,000 different plastics which never quite match. But check for perfect panel alignment, just in case.

The main questions of an '08 car are roof condition, seat leather condition (likely to be baggy @100K) and whether it's got any signs of crank walk.

Might have to budget for tired dampers/springs, etc.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the reviews for this seller, some are not all that good. I do realise that bad reviews are only posted by buyers who have had a problem but there are quite a few of them.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for all your answers,

@Richie2garage
You are right that's the one,

Everyone I am also suspicious about that air bag bit...

I did check reviews as well, I am prepared with knowledge and open minded but I will question everything about that car and check how it handles on the road...

When it comes to a car purchase I am always sceptical and prepared for worst. I would prefer to buy one that I do not have to invest right away anyway...

To be totally honest I was thinking more about AP1 but I read a lot of articles which said it is pain to drive as daily...
Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by darthfeal

To be totally honest I was thinking more about AP1 but I read a lot of articles which said it is pain to drive as daily...
I'm not sure AP1 preface-lift or AP1 facelift are really any different in terms of daily driving, (assuming you mean largely sitting in traffic and occasionally being able to put your foot down.) It's a small Japanese roadster, so comfort isn't why you buy it.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Comfort isn't my priority, I am interested in s2000 because it is one of the best drivers cars out there, also I like the way the car looks both interior and exterior... regarding AP1 it was mentioned that the shifter is making it difficult for a daily drive.
In general I do not sit too much in traffic. I do plan to take my future honda for weekend drives one once a while for a track to have a full experience of what that car can deliver in a safe environment.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:40 AM

When it comes to AP1 I was looking at this example
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...om=2000&page=1
Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

10k pounds is about 14k USD. Over here that would be a really good price for that car if the condition is what it appears to be. Like everyone else says, that airbag cover looks suspect. I would look into the accident history and go from there.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:00 PM

@WVCR-V

Thanks, I am planning to look into that and try to grasp as much of the front frame as possible, see if the bolts were replaced under the bonnet as well as the alignment of fenders and front bumper. In the description it is mentioned as an upgrade black paint, which could indicate that whole care was painted so there is no sight of colour difference or over spray... I am going to see the car in the morning when there is good light so I can grasp what I am dealing with...
Old 03-23-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The car in the link as well as the points mentioned previously looks to be missing the rear wheel arch trims, rear lower section of the bumper which holds the fog light would have been black originally also the front and rear badges are aftermarket JDM. Recently fitted Front Ns caliper. Front bumper has had headlight washers removed and smoothed. What might concern me more would be the colour difference of the drivers door to the other panel in all of the photos. For the miles the drivers seat is not in great shape around the outer bolster. Check for recent / matching quality tyres and proof of a very recent geo. Otherwise the usual buyer beware. Good luck and I hope the pictures don't do it justice.

edit (Note the car I comment on is the Pre facelift red in the last link).

Last edited by Soggybottomboy; 03-23-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I'd look very carefully at the paint. take an LED light with you. I've yet to see perfect aftermarket paint

Lool for shut lines, overspray

It's done some miles, needs good sh

Looks like it's been looked after. Black is not a shrinking violet colour

Good luck

Quick Reply: Buying a 2008 S2K