UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying a 2008 S2K

Old 03-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bonnet shut-line on that is comical, or they haven't bothered to close the bonnet. Which is worse?

Originally Posted by darthfeal
When it comes to AP1 I was looking at this example
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...om=2000&page=1
Old 03-24-2018, 05:40 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Soggybottomboy
The car in the link as well as the points mentioned previously looks to be missing the rear wheel arch trims, rear lower section of the bumper which holds the fog light would have been black originally also the front and rear badges are aftermarket JDM. Recently fitted Front Ns caliper. Front bumper has had headlight washers removed and smoothed. What might concern me more would be the colour difference of the drivers door to the other panel in all of the photos. For the miles the drivers seat is not in great shape around the outer bolster. Check for recent / matching quality tyres and proof of a very recent geo. Otherwise the usual buyer beware. Good luck and I hope the pictures don't do it justice.

edit (Note the car I comment on is the Pre facelift red in the last link).
Actually, isn't a headlight washer delete an MOT failure in the future - or now, even?
There have been some recent rule changes, like aftermarket HIDs being illegal.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Isn't it "if it's fitted it needs to work"? But I wait to be corrected by someone with more knowledge of the subject.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:58 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Soggybottomboy
Isn't it "if it's fitted it needs to work"? But I wait to be corrected by someone with more knowledge of the subject.
I read in the new MOT (section 4) that if HIDs are fitted the leveller and washers have to be tested if they don't work it's a major fail. So if they have been removed it's a major fail, not an advisory, I'm not even sure you can drive the car away to get it fixed. It stays on your MOT record so you can't get away with it once noted.

Headlamp washers are there on HIDs as dirt and rain can diffuse the pattern thereby dazzling and impairing the sight of oncoming drivers, so anyone removing them is being an inconsiderate c*n*, for the sake of a cosmetic mod.

That dealer cannot sell that car as it's not road legal, if anyone buys it technically you can't now drive it on public roads or worst still your insurance will be invalid with a major fault, there are a couple of the consequences of the new MOT.

Other major fails of interest -

8.2.1.1 missing catalytic converter
8.1.1 excessive exhaust noise (more than OEM)
0.1 Number plate spec/spacing

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2018-draft.pdf - Section 4.1.6

Last edited by richmc; 03-25-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:03 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

It might be the law and it may well be a legal requirement but the headlamp washers on our cars at least are NFU. All they do is empty the screen tank and create a tide of spray that washes up over the bonnet whilst leaving the headlights as dirty as they were in the first place.

You'd be better off making RainX a legal requirement instead.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:56 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
It might be the law and it may well be a legal requirement but the headlamp washers on our cars at least are NFU. All they do is empty the screen tank and create a tide of spray that washes up over the bonnet whilst leaving the headlights as dirty as they were in the first place.

You'd be better off making RainX a legal requirement instead.
I totally agree that the design of the washers is crap, but if you KNOW your headlamps are clean you can switch down to sidelights to clean the screen.

Last edited by richmc; 03-25-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a search for 2009 engine issues (thrust bearing) as this also affected 2008 cars. Having said that I doubt it's an issue now with 100k covered, but I deliberately didn't look at these later cars because of this issue as I was after a ~20k mile S2000.