UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying a Cat C or Cat D Write-off

Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buying a Cat C or Cat D Write-off

As you will probably have read already, I'm in the market for a replacement S. Looking around there seems to be quite a few cars that have been written off and repaired that offer a significant cost saving (e.g. an 05 car for similar money to an 03). As my budget is limited these have an initial appeal as I can get a lot more for my money. I understand that if I buy cheap, I'll have to sell cheap, but the car is intended to be a keeper (as was the previous car until my recent mishap) so age and mileage are more important than solid residuals.

Having read the definitions of both categories it appears that the main criteria when writing a car off is cost of repair (Cat D is over 50% of the market value, Cat C is beyond economical repair). With this in mind, and the cost of OEM parts it is very easy to get an S to be a Cat C with only minor damage.

So my question is, given my buying criteria above; what are the pitfalls and is it a good idea, given that I'll get any car AA inspected to ensure it's not been botched. Does anyone have any experience?

Your sage advice is always gratefully appreciated
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No experience with this mate, but I just couldn't put trust in a car that has all ready done its job and survived a prang once in its life before. Would never be able to drive it without that in the back of my mind.

I would personally go with a HPI clear model within your budget, and like you have said, it will benefit you when you come to sell it on. Even if that is in 5 years time.

Everyone will have there own thoughts on this though, just mine
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You know my thoughts on this - minor prang is just that. As long as it's cosmetic damage only and doesn't hide major structural issues then it's fine .... given the values of the cars of late, worrying about final resale value in 5 years time is next to pointless.

I'd want the least damaged of the two, minor panel damage, possibly one that's been paint strippered, that kind of thing. Avoid anything that has been twisted / wrapped around something / driven under a lorry or anything water / fire damaged.

Get the lowest mileage you can and get the mileage verified too as well as any service history and BOTH sets of keys.

Make sure you pay absolute bottom dollar too - there's plenty to choose from
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was a cat C when I purchased it and my dad repaired it, with me passing tools and making tea.

As long as it had been repaired properly there is no issue. I don't think I would trust the AA though. Do you have a body shop you can trust to have a look for you?
Ask if they have any before repairs photos or any paperwork that shows what was damaged.

Of the chassis is straight then everything else is pretty east to repair.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem is knowing exactly what damage the car had without photo's to show the damage and repair.

Other problem is selling it at the other end. It will be worth less, so a false saving. Then there is the problem of selling it. When I was looking for mine 8 months ago there was a red 05 for sale, it's still for sale!!

I wouldn't touch one. The price difference between a normal and cat registered car is minimal, not like you're talking about a £5K saving.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SCZ4
The price difference between a normal and cat registered car is minimal.
Rule of thumb says that a car that has been an insurance write off is worth around 2/3 the price it would have been if it hadn't been written off.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SCZ4
When I was looking for mine 8 months ago there was a red 05 for sale, it's still for sale!!
Is that the one with 14k miles on it located in Wales by any chance?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Mine was a CAT D, it can mean that the total cost of the claim excedes 2/3 value for example it could be stolen recovered with no damage, but it has cost the insurer a shed load in legal and car hire costs so it's more economical to declair CAT D and sell it to salvage.

Mine had been scraped and dented down the drivers side so was two wings and a door, enough to write it off. It drives perfectly so I'm happy as I saved £3000 - £4000 on the cost but I know that would come off the selling price if I got rid today, in ten years time it would make very little difference.

Also if you got a newer CAT D you could get gap insurence that is fixed at the book price, if it were written off again you could be quids in.

Contrary to what GonGon said HPI clear is not CAT clear, it only means there ia no finance outstanding.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulF
Is that the one with 14k miles on it located in Wales by any chance?
Yeap that's the one. The owner sent me a PDF with pictures of the damage and that was enough to put me off!! If you PM me your address I'll see if I can dig it out.

At this point he was wanting £9k for it, far too much!!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing that puts me off a Cat D is the resale value, and the hassle of selling it because so many buyers will be put off. I wouldnt go for a Cat C.

I'd only ever buy one though if I knew EXACTLY what had happened, and how it had been repaired. Either that or buying one needing repair and then I know the work has been done right.

I'm sure someone on here bought an S2000 with paint stripper on it for very cheap earlier on in the year. Good deals can be found, especially if you know a good bodyshop.

Quick Reply: Buying a Cat C or Cat D Write-off