UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying first S2000

Old 01-13-2019, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying first S2000

Hi,

New to the forum and looking to finally buy a S2K after wanting one since I was 17!

Looking to buy a ap2 model ideally stock, any advice on what to look for when buying? Obviously rust is a big thing, but for what are generally reliable cars is there any specific niggles or problems I should look for?
Old 01-13-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

I suggest having a good look through the FAQ's

Rust is not a major problem and you'll be looking for an AP1 as AP2 is the yank version.

Good luck, take your time or buy on impulse you'll not be disappointed.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:13 PM

Cheers, I'm currently recovering from an operation so I'm in no rush.

​​​​​​And I'll look through the FAQ's
Old 01-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be a good idea to check the VIN on all the different parts to make sure they're matching, I believe there is 10, but I could be wrong. Getting a service history if possible would be great. Depending on the mileage you're looking at I've seen a lot of people recommend getting a compression test done on higher mileage cars. Here is a link to a really detailed post.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...-s2000-775801/
Old 01-13-2019, 10:26 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Firstly welcome and good luck with your search. Next you won't be getting an AP2 that refers to the 2.2L engine that's in the model that was only available in the USA, what you are looking for is a facelift model. See here-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000

EYOS2000 is an American we don't have the VIN number plastered all over our cars, so ignore that. Rear wheel arches are the main place you might find rust. And again spend some time cruising the FAQ's.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:47 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by EYOS2000
Would be a good idea to check the VIN on all the different parts to make sure they're matching, I believe there is 10, but I could be wrong. Getting a service history if possible would be great. Depending on the mileage you're looking at I've seen a lot of people recommend getting a compression test done on higher mileage cars. Here is a link to a really detailed post.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...-s2000-775801/
As Rich said, UK cars do not have the VIN on all parts, so this advice doesn't apply here.

Rust can be big problem, and occurs mostly around the rear of the car: Arches (as Rich said), boot floor, fuel tank, and also check the sills. You may also find corrosion on the aluminium bonnet, usually at the leading edge.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:18 AM

Yeah I thought that was an American thing, and cheers for the help much appreciated.

Around 80k millage face lift model with good service history seems to go for 9/10k from what I'm seeing. Does that sound about right? The UK market I'm referring to
Old 01-14-2019, 04:35 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Not sure of your age Duran, but I'd recommend getting some insurance quotes before committing to buy. Has been known to catch out some of our younger drivers.

Good luck with the purchase you wont regret it .
Old 01-14-2019, 05:18 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

All the standard used S2000 advice but they're not all alike. Honda tweaked them every years with 2002, 2004, and 2006 being the major milestones.

I'd look for a 2006 or later car. I bought a low mileage example after a fairly long search. These are DBW and can be FlashPro tuned for significantly higher mid range power without the need to alter the OEM wiring or ECU and cause emissions problems. There are versions of the FlashPro device for both US and EU cars. Verify the ECU serial number if interested in this. Dropping the VTEC engagement to 3600rpm (from 6000) transformed my 2006 car. A FlashPro tune retains the OBD2 port and the tune can be flashed back to OEM in 5 minutes if needed for a MOT check.

2004 and later cars (face-lifted plus the AP2 engine in the US) have improved wheels, suspensions, etc over the earlier cars. The 2006 and later cars with DBW have traction and stability control that can be turned off with the press of a button on the dashboard if you want to play boy racer.

Make a priority list and enjoy the hunting.

-- Chuck
Old 01-14-2019, 05:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome the forum, first off when you find one, get yourself a zunsport grill haha. See my post in this forum.

When i bought my 2005 GT model i just followed the standard buyers guides on here and youtube etc. The only additional things i double checked were the timing chain tensioner, if the engine is making a sound like a bike chain being dragged across a cross bar, it will need the TCT replacing, high milers have this issue, its simple to do, and you can buy shiney new ones that can be fitted in minutes so don't be scared, use it to bid them down. I test drove a few were the brakes where not OEM or better, had been cheaply replaced so when i gave them a good press got some real judder. Other than that, serpentine belt and last time it had a valve adjustment.

Quick Reply: Buying first S2000