UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Caliper ? Disc? Issue

Old 05-06-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
How much clearance is there between caliper body and wheel? have you also got balancing weights towards the face of the alloy or the rear of it? if you've got less than 2mm of clearance, as it heats up, could be catching...

just checked and have loads of clearance and no scoring at all , so don't think that's my issue but thanks for the suggestion. Also seems to be coming from the rear which is all oem minus the pads .

Ill try and get out today to determine it's definitely coming from the rear

and then more than likely order 2x refurbed rear calipers and new discs for good measure
Old 05-07-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If it didn't do it before you fitted the AP BBK, then I would look at that, after all if it is the only thing that has changed it is worth a good look.

This happened to me with an Impreza years ago. Brakes were fine on it but I decided to fit some grooved discs anyway. I then had the noise you refer to, it was a rotational scraping noise. I removed the discs and cleaned thoroughly the hub face with a wire brush in a drill. then with a dial gauge found which position had the least run out, hey presto all sorted.

Moral of the story grooved discs suck
Old 05-07-2017, 03:31 AM

I'm pretty sure it's not the front set up .... and although I didn't have this noise before fitting the BBK , i never done full bedding in procedure with the standard set up . So didn't get them to the heat that this noise is happening at .

and yes the grooved discs are a bit louder ... but this isn't happening all the time , just when being used very hard .
Old 05-07-2017, 07:20 AM

Taken these pics .... this one is where I think the noise is coming from ( passager side ) as you can see there is a mark on the inside of the discs .... would I be correct in saying this looks like it's getting hotter than the rest of the disc?
This pic is of the other side for reference.

Possible slight sticky caliper ? Hence the noise after hard use ?
Old 05-07-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Just looking on my phone, but to be honest with you those discs look OK, on a small screen anyway
Old 05-08-2017, 12:13 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

just change the discs and see if that cures it. Although the car has only done 26k, i would still change them for new ones, it's very cheap for rear discs.
I have this issue on mine, sort of like i clunk/ping noise when i have been hard on the brakes during a drive, I've replaced all pins and boots but still the same but only when hot. I put it down to old shit discs...
Old 05-08-2017, 12:47 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Check your rear pads, the S2000 has a metal "wear indicator" and once the pad gets down to a certain thickness, this is designed to touch the disc and make a noise that lets you know the pads need replacing - could it be this?
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/a...,q_90/file.jpg

Forget that, just read you had DS2500s that do not have the metal tab on.

However, DS2500s are the shittest pad of all time and do not like a lot of heat. They might work "okay" on a vented disc, but on the S2000 rear disc, which being solid gets VERY hot, the DS2500 is known to leave pad deposits on the disc which will show up as black smears. These then create high spots on the disc (effectively giving disc run-out) and if not cleared off can build up sufficiently that they cause the discs to warp.

I suspect what you are hearing might be the initial stages of the disc run out, which given the "sticking" nature of the rear calipers will exacerbate the situation further.

Last edited by Mike RT4; 05-08-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
Check your rear pads, the S2000 has a metal "wear indicator" and once the pad gets down to a certain thickness, this is designed to touch the disc and make a noise that lets you know the pads need replacing - could it be this?
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/a...,q_90/file.jpg

Forget that, just read you had DS2500s that do not have the metal tab on.

However, DS2500s are the shittest pad of all time and do not like a lot of heat. They might work "okay" on a vented disc, but on the S2000 rear disc, which being solid gets VERY hot, the DS2500 is known to leave pad deposits on the disc which will show up as black smears. These then create high spots on the disc (effectively giving disc run-out) and if not cleared off can build up sufficiently that they cause the discs to warp.

I suspect what you are hearing might be the initial stages of the disc run out, which given the "sticking" nature of the rear calipers will exacerbate the situation further.

thats interesting ..... is it worth swopping the pads back to my standard ones and see what happens ?
Old 05-08-2017, 02:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hub nuts need tightening imho. The extra heat from the new pads is expanding things just enough for the driveshaft splines to move slightly in the hub.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:20 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
thats interesting ..... is it worth swopping the pads back to my standard ones and see what happens ?
Make sure you clean the pad residue off the discs as well (you can see this on the inside of the disc in the first picture).

Martin at Reyland should have a rear vented solution soon (but he is dragging his heels at the moment), which will stop the rears from overheating.

Quick Reply: Caliper ? Disc? Issue