UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car audio

Old 02-11-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car audio

So i after hunting through endless threads looking for good audio advice or products i didn't really find anything. Most stuff was mostly out dated or products from the states priced in dollars.

I Got about £300 to £360 to spend on a Head unit and some components and an amp if affordable.
I like Kenwood head units and looking to spend around £150 on a head unit.
When i thought about speakers rockford fosgate came to mind, don't know why think many moons ago someone said they were good.

Honestly i no nothing about what is good on todays market and what i need out of a pair of speaks and head unit. So thought i would ask here before i spend my moneys.

Improved sound quality and extra bass would be great. No sub

Thanks guys any advice is much appricated
Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 PM

I have alpine components in my s with out an amp and they are awesome don't need a sub they create a lot of base.

Rockford and fosgate are a fairly decent brand also look at hertz audio I rate them, used them in my old car and was a nice product.

Hope this helps
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock speakers are abit naff to be honest. Stick a good pair of alpines in, or stretch abit more and put focals in. Make sure you check the rating of the comps you put in as you may need an amp to drive them.

HU-wise, pick up an alpine unit. Look on eBay for a second-hand unit in the X-model range as they are pretty good otherwise Pioneer units aren't far behind in terms of stable power output and decent audio.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Used to be the case as follows.

Alpine - nice overall sharp sound
Kenwood - a bit bassy and treble shy
Pioneer - very bright and a little too much treble.

As far as HU go, i wouldn't change the Alpine 9887 unit I have but then it does some things that some of the others don't.

Speakers i'd get a decent set of Alpine components and also sound deaden the doors. Spend your money on these things and save / add an amp later if you think you need it.

if you are going to stick a decent amp in - get these http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...0c_p-27160.htm

If you are going to stick to HU power or only a small amp - get these - http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...cs_p-23886.htm

You may find both cheaper online.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:57 AM

Sorry to chip in and ask something on top of the O/P but unclefester/ anyone else, do you have any tips re sound proofing the door and avoiding fouling the window void.Cheers.

I have a Kenwood http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-kdc-bt92sd and really like it, works perfectly with the dash controls when you get the extra wiring loom.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many owner's agree, the standard speakers in the S2000 are poor. Lots of owners protest that the car's meant for driving, but with a car priced as the S2000 is and was, a lot of people use the cars day to day.

Unclefester's well informed on this - mainly as he's worked hard on a sound system for his car.

I've got a full sound system in My S2000, the build thread is -> C-J Watson's Red Project

I use a Kenwood head unit, however due to some clever electronics, it is neither bass heavy nor treble shy unless I choose that setup.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM

I got the fitted door speaker package this place offers because I'm lazy. It's definitely an improvement but I was hoping for more of an improvement. They suggested that if I upgraded the head unit to an alpine unit from the quite crap sony one I have it would be a better sounding package.

I'd recommend it though, they give you a CD with photos of the work done too which is a nice touch.

http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/ind...d=61&Itemid=99
Old 02-12-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Surprised no one has said get some decent sound deadening behind them speakers as well. Make a phenomenal difference.

If you are shelling out on decent components also get some Marine/waterproof MDF spacers made up for the speakers not only to clear the window mech but also have something solid for the speakers to mount to instead of those naff autoleads speaker mounts.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by japcrap
I got the fitted door speaker package this place offers because I'm lazy. It's definitely an improvement but I was hoping for more of an improvement. They suggested that if I upgraded the head unit to an alpine unit from the quite crap sony one I have it would be a better sounding package.

I'd recommend it though, they give you a CD with photos of the work done too which is a nice touch.

http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/ind...d=61&Itemid=99
How much was it just for the speakers to be fitted?
Old 02-12-2015, 11:53 PM

I paid £300 or £350 can't remember the exact figure but the receipt is at home so I could check. That was for them to add the sound deadening material to the doors and fit the new door speakers. I didn't want to upgrade the head unit at the time and I had already fitted the steering wheel controls wire myself so that was all I needed. The sound deadening does make the door feel more solid and give it more of a german feel when you close it etc.

I will probably get an alpine in the near future but I want the one that you can change the colour of the illumination to orange to match the cluster and with USB and bluetooth I think the unit that does that is about £250-£300 alone.

Quick Reply: Car audio