UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car stereo - Alpine?

Old 05-16-2001, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I've ordered the car from a UK dealer through an internet site and they have not been able to tell me the model of the car stereo. The only thing I know is that it's an Alpine. Has anyone else received a car recently, what stereo did they put in it, and if you could give me the model of the Alpine one, so I can look it up, it would be much appreciated.

thanks

J.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:20 AM

I'm note sure if its Alpine, its simply badged Honda and there is nothing in the docs that states otherwise. I was led to believe it was made by Bose, either way its not up to much and the speakers are even worse.

Make a speaker change the 1st mod to your car.
Old 05-16-2001, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The supplier told me that this is a new standard stereo. They didn't use to put these in s2000s before. When did you buy yours?

Cheers
Old 05-16-2001, 07:32 AM

I thought it was supposed to be a Bose, but IanL thought it was Alpine.
Old 05-16-2001, 07:47 AM

Mines a 2001 car, was delivered Feb this year.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:32 AM

The stereo is Bose.....my car is only weeks old.
I know this for certain as I asked the dealer, when enquiring about them fitting a 6cd multichanger.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2001, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Am I guessing right that the headunit is not badged Alpine or BOSE but Honda? Is this why nobody is absolutely sure what model is the headunit?

Additionally, what about the speakers? Are they Honda badged as well? I've heard they are crap, is this true?

Cheers
Old 05-16-2001, 09:53 AM

The Head Unit is badged Honda, the speakers are truely crap, they are 15W paper cones with a paper tweeter. Check out the audio pages of the UK s2000 owners http://www.s2000.org.uk/ club for good info on replacing the standard speakers.

If your serious about your sound you'll probably end up replacing the lot. If this is the case I wouldn't bother with the CD changer, in my opinion its limited in function and in hindsight I wish I hadn't got it and instead replaced the lot.

Good Luck
Old 05-17-2001, 12:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a slightly tricky one this as it would seem that Honda have changed the unit they put into the S2K thro' time (and probably region. I am reasonably sure that my 2001 has an Alpine based unit. Others claim it is Panasonic. I dont really think it matters too much. What does matter, and seems to be very widely accepted, is the only readily available (ie at your local car hi-fi shop) way to either add a non-honda cd player to the honda head, or replace the honda head and retain use of the dash controls, is to install alpine equipment (Alpine manufacture interface units to permit either of the options mentioned above).

I am going to replace the head unit (and speakers) For the price of the Honda cd changer you can get a vastly superior Alpine head unit and cd changer. No contest!

Ian
Old 06-04-2001, 01:44 PM

Just got a good deal on some speakers..... After reading through the UK S2000 Owners site, I picked out the JBL GTO603's - and then just happened to be in Halfords at the weekend for something else.

It turns out Halfords are going to stop stocking JBL and are selling off their stock - I got a pair of GTO603 MKII's for

Quick Reply: Car stereo - Alpine?