UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Catalogue of dealer errors post 27k service

Old 02-16-2008, 09:52 AM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catalogue of dealer errors post 27k service

Some of you may recall my last post where I had a rather disasterous 27k service at Alan Day in Southampton and the cars handling felt terrible after they had changed all my tyres. It was put down to the fact I had new rubber.

I was considering getting my geometry looked at, and so booked in with Chris Franklin at Center Gravity a few weeks back. Carefully drove to Chris's from my place in Central London, very carefuly due to the interesting movements my car was having under acceleration and coasting. Met Wayne who had just finished with Chris when I arrived , hope your last few weeks have been better than mine.

Chris welcomed me in as I expected given the past comments I had read on here. Cup of tea in hands we started chatting about the car, and my S was lifted up on the ramp where Chris was going to inspect the bushes. On a routine check of my car he noticed immediately that I did not have matching rear tyres. I had an RE050 BZ on the driver side rear and all others were MZ. Clearly not right and clearly a fault from Alan Day, but what effect was it having on the car? Moreover we also spotted a small drip coming from a leak in the washer of my rear diff, of which the oil had also been changed at the recent service. On closer inspection it appeared the compression washer appeared to have been re-used (bear in mind this is a 99p piece), as we could see previous score marks. At this point I was livid and could not believe what a shoddy job Alan Day had done.

That aside Chris began to work on my bushes, of which two gave him a little grief. Began thinking I wanted rid of the car and buy a beater to save the grief and expense. Claimed they were the worst he had seen on an '05 car (I saw the evidence for myself), but luckily all came free and all went back in all lubricated up. Proceeded to get the geometry done which is quite a work of art and everything was explained as we went along which was very beneficial to my understanding of the car. He also had a test to compare the compound of the tyres and how much the BZ was different to the MZ. Im not a tyre expect, but it seemed they were significantly different in characteristics (BZ was stiffer if I recall correctly). I was very impressed with Chris's professional approach, and like so many have posted on here before, a real genuine enthusiast.

Time came for a test drive of Chris's handywork once he had satisfied himself of his calibrations (very meticulous) and we went out for a spin with Chris at the wheel. Very soon he felt the snaking sensation I had felt as the car pulled left under throttle and then glided right when easing off or engaging the clutch. He confirmed what I already knew, 'the car does not feel right'. I took the wheel and the car felt much better than it had, but the problem obviously persisted albeit to a lesser degree.

Back in Chris's workshop we further compared the two tyres to find the rolling diameter of the BZ was 16mm greater than that of MZ! Little surprise then that the handling felt so different. At 11pm on a Sunday night, I headed back to the City needing to persue Alan Day and see what they had to say about our findings. When I arrived home at about 1am I found Chris had sent me a mail with the fact that the BZ was intended for a Mercedes and clearly not an S.

Chris had all his paperwork to hand and had put a call in to the Service Manager and I got a prompt call Monday morning to account my story again. Very quickly, to Alan Day's credit they admitted their mistake(s), and that it was their supplier who had supplied the wrong tyres to them and there would be an investigation as a result. I explained that I had lost faith in their ability to carry work out on the car and that I wanted the correction work to be done at Chiswick. After a few days Alan Day agreed after I arranged a quote from Chiswick. I was to receive a cheque to cover the work and the geo that Chris did for me. I had to chase the cheque but it did arrive.

So today, 3 weeks or so after the service, I take my car to Chiswick for 8am. Sit patiently for about an hour, see it bought back into the customer parking so wander out to take a look and find a BZ still on my driver side rear. A little confused I asked the service desk when they were going to change the tyre, to which they replied it had been done. My blood pressure rose and I could feel myself beginning to get more and more pissed off. I pointed out that they had replaced an incorrect tyre with the same incorrect tyre. A little baffled the serviceman wandered off to find out what had gone on. He came back about 10 mins later, apologised and said all their stock was BZ's and thats what their supplier had given them. I didnt know whether to laugh or cry.

I expressed my clear dissatisfaction and anger and my disappointment with both dealers. I fully intend to follow up with Honda UK and try to get an explanation as to how two main dealers can stock incorrect tyres and not notice, and how Chiswick managed to fit the same wrong tyre, even after I told them the whole story. The only good news was they gave me the diff oil change and new washer for free. So at midday I was stuck in only a marginally better position than I was previously.

Returning home I looked for a tyre fitter near me who would fit today. After 3 weeks of having this eating away at me I deceided enough was enough and wanted the bloody situation fixed, as Im away for the next 2 weekends. Chris recomended the Michel Dever / Protyre group, so I call Protyre in Slough and they confirmed they had an MZ in stock, so I headed there and I am pleased to say they appear to have managed to fit it without incident (they also do geo and looked to have a similar setup to Chris if the drive to Birmingham does not suit and anyone was thinking of getting it done).

Initially I felt the handling had the opposite effect, so when accelerating it pulled right and on coasting went left, but as the drive progressed either this effect corrected itself or it was pyscological as it appeared to lessen and or go away. I intend to drive a bit tomorrow to get a longer and more definitive feel. So after a lot of hassle, stress and chasing, I appear to finally be on the straight and narrow again. I was worried putting my car in for its service, it had been running sweetly prior to it and I'm very much of the thought 'if it aint broke dont fix it'. My fears were realised.

I now at a loss as to who to hand my first MOT to in June and any subsequent services. I chose Alan Day and Chiswick as they were dealers who see and turnover S2000's and therefore would be familiar with the car and do a good job. Seemed my justication and thought process was wrong. I am very disappointed with the attention to detail and while I have been compensated for the mistakes, its eaten up a hell of a lot of my time and fuel and theres no excuse for not getting it right first time in my opinion. I know eveyone makes mistakes, maybe I have been unlucky, but for me, if something can go wrong, the majority of time it does.

But, in conclusion the final word has to go to Chris Franklin who has been fully comitted and behind me the whole way. His service was second to none, and professionalism and knowledge impeccable. I would want someone working on my car to treat it as their own, which is what he did. I was considering getting my geo done at Honda, as Chris isnt exaclty close to me, but wonder whether the odd tyre would have been picked up, and if it had whether Id have been told. Or whether it would have gone unnoticed and a blind eye would have been turned.

Would I recommend Center Gravity? Wholeheartedly. Alan Day or Chiswick? Would be very hard for me to say yes.

Pics to follow in a minute - edit having probs uploading - will do as soon as fixed
Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Take it to Crown in Bushey Heath and ask for Jorge to work on your car. You'll be in very safe and knowledgeable hands
Old 02-16-2008, 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=MrM,Feb 16 2008, 06:52 PM] Met Wayne who had just finished with Chris when I arrived
Old 02-16-2008, 10:31 AM
LTB

I've been using Alan Day recently in Southampton, but after reading this I think that I'll be going to TGM in Fleet in future.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After similar tyre experience with Kwik-fit - I have a lease car so I'm a little limited in who I can use, and get "free" tyres so can't really complain.

Anyway, I ended up with tyres meant for a Mazda6 at one point, followed by tyres for a Porsche - spotted by Chris Franklin.

I wouldn't trust anyone with tyres as far as I could throw a radial, but Chiswick Honda have been good enough - compared to many dealers - on other matters.

Having said that, if I had the time I'd probably go to Crown, Bushey
Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 PM

I thought that this would be a tyre issue, this problem has happened before and they should know better, sorry to hear you have been treated so badly by two dealer's.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:19 PM

Alan Day Honda.....

There's that many chimps work there, the service bays should have trees planted.....

Simply the most appalling service received from any main dealer from any brand, ever.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:02 AM
MrM

It seems I am not alone here then. My concerns are now turning to what else could have been done to a below par standard at the 3rd service. Something thats not as easy to spot, like valve clearences....
Old 02-17-2008, 05:32 AM

Second moral, always check your tyres post fitment, get used to what an MZ looks like and complain there and then.

Glad you got it sorted eventually!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by MASTER_TECH,Feb 16 2008, 10:50 PM
I thought that this would be a tyre issue, this problem has happened before and they should know better, sorry to hear you have been treated so badly by two dealer's.
Tiny

Quick Reply: Catalogue of dealer errors post 27k service