UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Catch cans and pcv valve

Old 03-15-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Catch cans and pcv valve

Now the HKS S/C kit is all installed on my car I'm planning to fit an oil catch can. Have done a search but can't find any definitive answers.

looking at a catch can with breather filter on the can to fit into the pipe between the head and intake pipe before the s/c and intercooler - would I see a benefit in this over a 'regular' can without the filter.

also contemplating removing the pcv line between the head and intake manifold - again is this worthwhile and has anyone done this rather than put another catch can in?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I have read it seems the need for open vented or closed catch can setup are different on Forced induction and NA setups. For NA catch can setup it seems preferable to have the vacum of a closed loop setup.

As for whether to have a dual or single catch can, that is a different question again.

Alot of it will depend on use of car, engine bay space, and personal preference.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:18 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum about this and from what i have read it seems there are two beneficial routes.

1. Remove the PCV and run both ports from the cam cover to a vented catch can. Also capping the IM and intake port.

2. Run a sealed catch can between the pcv valve and the IM. Its seems the primary function of the PCV is to open when on full throttle pulling the hot air from the cam cover thus most of the oil will be caught from this hose. Most people also put a small filter on the other cam cover port when running this setup.

There are various reasons people run different setups but basically if you are running high boost and you are having your dip stick pop up during hard driving your better off opting for option 1. If you are worried about emissions then go for option 2.

I have just bought a sealed catch can so will probably run option 2 although i actually think i would prefer to run option 1.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:42 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I have a vented dual port, planning to run both to that and cap off the intake inlets, otherwise you get oil and fuel crap going through the charger, intercooler etc and i dont like that

i appreciate a non vented will catch some of it. Maybe all?
The following users liked this post:
har-vey (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I have a vented dual port, planning to run both to that and cap off the intake inlets, otherwise you get oil and fuel crap going through the charger, intercooler etc and i dont like that

i appreciate a non vented will catch some of it. Maybe all?
I think that's the best option. I'm tempted to send mine back and get a vented can
Old 03-16-2017, 02:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So in laymans terms -

Feed both outlets from rocker cover into a dual vented catch can? Block off Inlet Manifold and intake inlet - so would the feed from both outlets on the rocker cover go into one vented catch can?
Old 03-16-2017, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by mikegsi
So in laymans terms -

Feed both outlets from rocker cover into a dual vented catch can? Block off Inlet Manifold and intake inlet - so would the feed from both outlets on the rocker cover go into one vented catch can?
correct but you also need to remove the pcv valve
Old 03-16-2017, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AN port on the bottom of the catch can (instead of a drain tap) and another on the sump at the lowest point (below oil level). Then an oil return to sump line. Will save you loosing oil and having to drain it all the time
Old 03-16-2017, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jake89
AN port on the bottom of the catch can (instead of a drain tap) and another on the sump at the lowest point (below oil level). Then an oil return to sump line. Will save you loosing oil and having to drain it all the time
It will also put dirty mixed oil and gases back into your clean oil. I wouldn't be doing this!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are loads of different set-ups & opinions.

I was reading these threads on the scooby forums.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...n-to-sump.html

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1387094

Last edited by Jake89; 03-16-2017 at 02:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Catch cans and pcv valve