UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Childsy's Blue s2k

Old 07-28-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Childsy
There is a whining noise when cars warm when the clutch is engaged and accelerating determines how loud the whining is.

Sometimes when changing gear there is a small single knock from under the car.
Is the whining only when moving? I'd say it's the diff. The oil is supposed to be changed at least every 3 years or 36k miles so it's due this year for an 04 plate. Gearbox oil would have been due last year so worth checking that was done as well. Definately worth having both done if they weren't done very recently.

The thunk is I believe fairly normal. Does it still happen if you slightly delay changing gear from pressing the clutch pedal? Brake fluid is also every 3 years so reasonable to assume the clutch fluid would be the same. If they weren't done pre-purchase I'd add those to the list.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Hello and welcome,

Just a suggestion but couldn't the whinning be the common "clutch buzz"?

This may not work but try regreasing the gear selector, theres a thread on here somewhere, easy job and well worth it however I doubt will fix the selection noise. I have it also and I kind of like it!

Hopefully you will find the answer you are searching for.

Hello, thankyou!

Erm could be will take it to honda to see what they think but sounds like the input shaft bearing as when I depress the clutch the noise goes....

Cheers for the advice.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by MIP
Whine might be differential (or gearbox). Could try changing the gear & diff oil as a first port of call.

There can be a bit of a thunk from neutral to first very occasionally, that's normal. I've not had it with other gears.

If it's more of a kind of click from the rear, you may need new hub nuts, torqued to the revised (higher) setting.
Will certainly change the oils, as that's an easy way to hopefully sort the problem.

It's the neutral to first that I notice yes, glad that's relatively normal then!

When you say "click from the rear" is that when changing gear or is that a noise not related to gear change?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by richmc
Oils first, the S has a quite notchy gearbox at best, fresh oil usually makes a difference.
Will get the oil changed, thanks.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

The little 'jump/jig' from the rear when selecting first from neutral at standstill is normal.

The whine of course, is not. Would it show up on a video?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipGB

Is the whining only when moving? I'd say it's the diff. The oil is supposed to be changed at least every 3 years or 36k miles so it's due this year for an 04 plate. Gearbox oil would have been due last year so worth checking that was done as well. Definately worth having both done if they weren't done very recently.

The thunk is I believe fairly normal. Does it still happen if you slightly delay changing gear from pressing the clutch pedal? Brake fluid is also every 3 years so reasonable to assume the clutch fluid would be the same. If they weren't done pre-purchase I'd add those to the list.
The noise sounds like grinding when car is parked in neutral and whining when accelerating. If I coast along there's no whining until I accelerate.

Will just change oils to start with for piece of mind clutch and brake fluid was changed a couple weeks ago.

If I delay changing gear with clutch down the thunk doesn't occur.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
The little 'jump/jig' from the rear when selecting first from neutral at standstill is normal.

The whine of course, is not. Would it show up on a video?
Ok that's good!

I will try and video the noise later, only on my iphone though so may not be clear.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:56 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Erm could be will take it to honda to see what they think but sounds like the input shaft bearing as when I depress the clutch the noise goes....

Cheers for the advice.
That is pretty common on these, nothing to worry about really.

1st gear clunk is common too, again, nothing to worry about.

(It's also worth mentioning that there are no AP2 UK sold cars, they are all AP1. Best to refer to the by model year i.e. MY04 in your case).
Old 07-28-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome aboard - Pensioner blue is the best colour

I have the same aged car as you and I found re-greasing the gear stick ball improved gear selection, there's a good DIY here and a good first job to start to get to know your new car.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The noise sounds like grinding when car is parked in neutral and whining when accelerating. If I coast along there's no whining until I accelerate.

Will just change oils to start with for piece of mind clutch and brake fluid was changed a couple weeks ago.

If I delay changing gear with clutch down the thunk doesn't occur.
If it happens in neutral at a stand still then it's not the diff as no part of that is moving. As it stops when you press the clutch and coast, if changing the gearbox oil doesn't stop it then it's likely clutch related.

Quick Reply: Childsy's Blue s2k