UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cleaning oil from engine bay? ...

Old 09-12-2002, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning oil from engine bay? ...

Don't worry - not the S!

I was debating whether to post this thread, a little embarrasing really! I thought I was being good at the weekend and checked the oil in both cars, the S needed a little as it was nearing the lower end of the scale and the Xantia also needed a little. Unfortunately I was in a rush and managed to forget to put the oil filler cap back on the Xantia !

Guess what - a few litres of oil all over the engine block which is now dripping on the exhaust creating a great James Bond style smoke screen behind the car every now and then!!

Luckily the head is very close to the bonnet so not only was the cap held in place where I had left it but it also meant the oil was not able to spray very far, limiting the spill to just the engine.

Now, I have been receommended against a steam clean due the large amount of electrics in the engine bay .... soooo ... any suggestions on how to remove oil from inaccesible places in the engine bay?? Any sprays I can get?

Thanks!

- Frisky.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any good degreasant - Gunk or whatever. The stuff I bought from a bike shop for my bike chain does a great job of removing oil.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:03 AM

Frisky! I have the perfect answer....

Go to Halfords and look for a product called CD-2

It's a two part thing. One a spray to clear all the oil and crap. Two a shiner and protector.

Put can one on all over the engine, pipes, bay.... in fact everywhere under the bonnet.... and then hose off (as per the instructions)

Put can two on and admire the result; it is frickin' fabulous. Better than new!

After I used it, I saw a thread on the US forum about CD-2 and people were raving about it there.

As to water in the engine, just keep the air-box cover on. I bought the product weeks ago and never used it because you have to rinse it off (and was scared of the electrics, like you). I mentioned this to my local Honda chief mechanic and he said not to worry about it. He said to go ahead and hose it. He said... "Vauxhall? NO!.... Volvo?... NO!.... Honda... no problem, everything is sealed"

So I did it last weekend and not only are the results stunning, but the car started first time after a huge soaking!

Pity you're not at the SuperMeet; I'd show you the results!

Pete

PS
DO NOT do it on your drive if it's tarmac (it tells you this on the can, but it's worth warning you again.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:51 PM

Frisky

If I read your note right its the Xantia which has the oil in the bay.

I would recommend you call Citroen first. They have all sorts of strange things in the engine bay.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Shipley
its the Xantia which has the oil in the bay.
SORRY! Got carried away with my gleaming engine bay - I should have read the post more carefully

Pete
Old 09-13-2002, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Shipley
They have all sorts of strange things in the engine bay.
You are not wrong there!!!

I have the V6 Exclusive so there is not much room in the engine bay and it is full of computers and general electrics and hydraulics - a bit scared of soaking all that in water!

Pete, if I was to just use the first part of the CD-2 and not wash it off would there be a problem? Is it likely to be flammable?

I am not too concerned about how the engine bay looks, the most important thing is to remove the oil so that it does not smell and smoke.

- Frisky.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frisky
[B]Pete, if I was to just use the first part of the CD-2 and not wash it off would there be a problem?
Old 09-13-2002, 02:07 AM

THis is funny because I went into Halford yesterday looking for some engine cleaner and I kind of stumbled across the CD2 twin pack, it was the last one on the shelf (made by turtlewax at