UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clunking noise - rear near side

Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise - rear near side

Hi,
well I had a rubbing grinding noise at the rear of my car for a while now, a friend replaced the rear wheel bearing for me and the noise went, however the last few days it has returned, so I would get a 'rubbing' noise ONCE per revolution of the wheel. I really don't konw where to look next. Howver today on a run out, I seem to have developed a different noise, its a very definiite clunk sound, and I can make it happen by stabbing the excelerator on and off, breaking doesn't create the noise but causing the car to jerk forward under acceleration causes this clunking sound.

So, are the two sounds related do you think? I wou8ld like to get to the bottom of this before I get to the Isle of Man in a few weeks time, so if you have any ideas please post them, many thanks.

oh and I should say there is no more heat in the nearside rear wheel than the offside
Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 AM

So glad you have posted about this as mine has recently developed just the same thing Nut, though I'm not sure which side at the rear it is coming from.

Its a definite 'clunk', not a 'click' like you get with a hub nut.

Mine is intermittent but like yours associated with accelerating away not braking. (I have had a wheel bearing replaced too but that was a while ago, so in my case I have no reason to suspect that the noise is related to that.)

I haven't tried to provoke it. Just off to try do that now.

I was frightened to start a thread myself as I am not very technical. Hope you don't mind me piggy-backing yours?

Hope someone can enlighten us as I am IOM bound too.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 AM

I would say its the anti roll bar links for the clunking and possibly a siezed rear caliper if its producing more heat. Does it smell?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 AM

I've got mine booked into TGM on the 25th as I have a clunking noise on the drivers side rear when going over bumps. As mentioned above I think its the drop link.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:07 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mistress Quickly,Jun 12 2010, 02:58 PM
Mine is intermittent but like yours associated with accelerating away not braking. (I have had a wheel bearing replaced too but that was a while ago, so in my case I have no reason to suspect that the noise is related to that.)
Worn CV joint possibly ?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 AM

Heh heh more problems than solutions

To answer cupracing, there is no noticeable smell, and not raelly any noticeble heat, however your suggestions sound like real possibilities, I guess I need to know how to check for them, and LTB's worn cv joint?

Thanks for your help

MQ yes I hope you get yours sorted out too, I am just trying to guage a few ideas to suggest to some of my more mechanical friends what the problem might be and where to look .... good luck and let me know how you get on if you find a solution please.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:42 AM

I took mine out this afternoon and conditions were ideal with empty roads, everyone glued to the TV.

I can't provoke it at will however aggressively I launch but I got the 'clunk' a couple of times, always under acceleration. Mine is OSR.

I checked my wheels when I got back and all were uniformly warm and there was no smell which, I think, rules out a sticking caliper.

As you know Nut I had problems on the Dales meet. Honda have said that it was down to a faulty new spark plug. They have replaced all four and road tested the car over a considerable distance. This clunking problem obviously didn't manifest itself on the road test. Intermittent faults are a nightmare to deal with.

Hopefully we will get some pointers as to what could be wrong. I plan to take mine to my local hill-billy garage which was able to isolate the wheel bearing that I knew was failing when Honda couldn't.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the common problem with the hub nut? Maybe it wasn't torqued properly after the wheel bearings were done.

I once had a clunk when pulling away on an old car. Turned out three of the wheel nuts were loose.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Not hub nut Dembo. I've had that. It sounds more like a click than a clunk.

Will check my wheel nuts tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jun 12 2010, 09:08 PM
Is this the common problem with the hub nut? Maybe it wasn't torqued properly after the wheel bearings were done.

I once had a clunk when pulling away on an old car. Turned out three of the wheel nuts were loose.
Mine is definitely a clunk, and that is how it sounds, as though a wheel nut is loose, I will check it tomorrow but very confident the wheel nuts are tight. That is definitely the sound though, and more than that it feels like it too, in other words I can feel something loose or hitting something for a moment ... anti-roll bar links what are they then, what do they do and where are they ?

Quick Reply: Clunking noise - rear near side