UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch related noise

Old 03-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch related noise

Hi Guys,

So here's my first post on the forum!

I bought a MY05 (reg'd 06) S2000 last May in fantastic condition, overall really pleased! I did notice one thing when I first got the car which was when engine breaking (mainly in the lower gears) there was a sort of grinding/scraping noise over the normal engine sound. I assumed that this was just something that S2000's do and got on with life!

However.. over the last few weeks i've noticed some subtle changes in the sounds the car is making to the point where I am a little concerned and thought I would solicit some help from the forum experts before getting a garage to try and assess the problem for me.

The main noise I'm experiencing is the grinding/scraping noise when sitting in neutral with the clutch out (engaged / pedal out for clarity..!). You can hear it at idle but revving the engine really shows the noise up. Pressing the clutch in causes it to completely disappear.

That aside there are a number of other things I have observed which may or may not be related but i'll pop on here for the sake of completeness..! they are (in no particular order):

- Strange Idle - I've noticed lately when revving the engine (just punch the accelerator and let it drop down to idol as fast as it can), it drops below the 1000 line, chokes and almost stalls before bringing the idol back up to the line. This happens consistently once the car is warm, it's not a problem when cold as it idles slightly higher I guess.

- Kangarooing - lots of kangarooing in traffic. Reading on the forum it sounds pretty standard fare from what other people have experienced, the lack of power when accelerating, kangarooing instead, flat acceleration until hitting VTEC etc.

- Shrill noise when accelerating - through every gear, when accelerating, I will at some point get a short, shrill noise like a rattling whistle (or "chirping" i guess). It started off very quietly, I couldn't get anyone else to notice in the car with me however it has now progressed to be quite loud and anyone will notice when pointed out!

- Creaky clutch pedal - now this i thought was just an annoying in-the-cabin thing that could potentially be sorted with a bit of grease however i noticed the other day with the roof down (yes i know it's only been close to warm once this year..!) that the creaking is actually quite loud outside the car as well so thought I would mention it as it could possibly be related..

I don't think theres anything else of note (other than a variety of rattles that i'm going to have a good go at this weekend!).

Other than that i'm just about to have the 54,000 mile service (anyone seen a service schedule for this one? I literally can't find a thing on the INTERNET let alone this forum! any help much appreciated)

Otherwise, hello to everyone and thanks for any help in advance!

Aaron
Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 PM

PS Just wanted to add I have been researching this for at least a week now and have found some *very* inconclusive ideas from other forums (mostly in the US) so I'm hoping the UK experts might have some more contextual ideas!

Thanks again
Old 03-25-2011, 01:27 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Clutch in/out noise is normal - they all do that.

The service schedule is in the FAQ but the gallery may not be working right now which is why you can't see it. It is reproduced here though http://www.s2kuk.com/technical/faq/s...faq_030107.pdf

The 54k service is the most expensive - expect to pay between £400 - £500 for it. You can reduce costs by supplying your own oil and spark plugs.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Clutch in/out noise is normal - they all do that.
Should this be something that is getting slowly worse and louder though..? The only reason I ask is because aside from ruining the rather nice sound of the engine(!) I've also seen on the US forums that clutches are replaced around 60K on these cars (Which i was not previously aware of) and wondered whether I need to consider getting this done..

The service schedule is in the FAQ but the gallery may not be working right now which is why you can't see it. It is reproduced here though http://www.s2kuk.com/technical/faq/s...faq_030107.pdf
I did look through the whole manual but the photos (if those are what you are referring to) are too small to be seen! I can't save the photos out and zooming in just pixelates all the text

The 54k service is the most expensive - expect to pay between £400 - £500 for it. You can reduce costs by supplying your own oil and spark plugs.
Thanks for the heads up though! I had a feeling it was going to be a big one..

Thanks for the response!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Clutches can and do last a lot longer than 60k - I just had mine replaced at 100k! It can vary of course.

Hopefully the gallery will be working again soon, so the pics will be of readable quality. If you were given any old paperwork with the car, the service schedule should be included.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 AM

Hopefully the gallery will be working again soon, so the pics will be of readable quality. If you were given any old paperwork with the car, the service schedule should be included.
Hopefully soon! In the meantime does anyone else on the forum have copies of these images par chance..?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 AM

So it rattles and when you depress the clutch the rattling stops? Mine does that a bit. On a previous car I had similar issue and when got bad I investigated. It was the thrust washer/bearing in that instance.

If you do find the cause I would like to know as I think mine is heading the same way
Old 03-26-2011, 05:55 AM

Mine does all the things yours does, I put it down to a characteristic and just get on with driving it.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by cupracing
Mine does all the things yours does, I put it down to a characteristic and just get on with driving it.
Definitely had until the strange grinding noise came! I can probably sort most of it out with a little bit of time and attention, just thought i'd see if these were red-flag signs that i need to get it looked at!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 AM

Iv got the same problem with the car wanting to stall if you rev when stationary or take out of gear at low speeds.

Anyone know what this could be?

Quick Reply: Clutch related noise