UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch.....Too light

Old 02-16-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Clutch.....Too light

Hi,

So i took the opportunity today to bleed my clutch and change the fluid to ate blue at the same time. I used billmans gravity feed method and made sure blue fluid came out plenty on the other side before I closed off the drain valve.
I also ensured no air went into the system.
The car is an 05 with 27K.

After putting everything back together I noticed my clutch pedal was REALLY light. I was expecting something a bit stiffer, but instead a lot lighter than it was before.
Is there a problem that is causing the light feel?I would much prefer a heavier clutch feel!

Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

is it operating ok then
Old 02-16-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
is it operating ok then
Seems to work ok, just VEY VERY light. No pressure needed on pedal.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Perhaps release psi and inspect slave returning back to correct position by hand, may have been stuck and the <fluid>fulcrum angle position incorrect for engage/diss-engagement.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 PM

I will check, however seems like everything is working fine. Not taken her our properly yet, so might do that and see if I can feel anything (lack of power).
Worst case, I will re-bleed the system in the same way as brakes, getting someone to pump the pedal while im opening/closing the bleed valve.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice new fluid can improve the feel massively, especially if your fluid was grey/black. I know a lot of people swear by it, but I'm not totally convinced by the gravity bleed method. If you do bleed with the "pump the pedal" method then you'll need to pull the pedal back up (slowly) by hand as the return spring is in the slave.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

It should be really light - when I had my clutch changed I nearly put my foot through the bulkhead such was the difference.

It will get stickier over time though.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback. As mentioned, im confident no air got in the system, and as I went from old fluid to ATE blue, it was easy to spot once the new fluid came through. I bled quite a bit of blue through to ensure it was sufficiently flushed of the old fluid.

LG, this is what if felt like with mine.....no push back force on the pedal and nearly went through the floor when I first dipped the clutch.
For peace of mind, ill do the push pedal method, and if the feel is still the same, I guess it confirmed gravity method and ill just have to get use to the new feel.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Lovegroova said. I could barely drive mine when it had a new clutch; it was almost like learning to drive for the very first time when you don't have the muscle memory.

But I can't see why a fluid change alone would change that. But does it work? If it's not slipping, it fully disengages so you can get into reverse, and the pedal does come back up when you release it, what can be wrong?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 AM

Dembo,
I can confirm pedal makes a full return, doesnt get stiffer when pumped and goes into reverse. After the change I only moved the car to trade places with my other for a wash, so saw first and reverse. Both worked and no grinding of gears.
Fluid was a very dark piss yellow when removed.
By the sounds of it, I may just have to get use to this super light clutch!

Quick Reply: Clutch.....Too light