UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch.....Too light

Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah maybe. Mine's quite heavy again now, but then it has done 100K since the clutch change.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

On the topic of clutches..... How easy / difficult is it to do a clutch on the S2000?
Possible to do at home with car on axles?
Iv only ever done smaller car clutches (Punto / Glanza).
Also, what is the average life of a S2000 clutch? (normal / spirited driving)
Old 02-17-2014, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be done but it's not easy (from memory Ultra_Nexus and GaryB have done them on stands but they are both nutters )

Average life depends, I've had clutches replaced on the S2k's that I've owned around the 60k mark, but there are others around that have done over 100k miles before changing.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 AM

Good times on the clutch! Car has 27K on clock, so good for many more miles!
Hmmm... if its been done before, it almost sounds like a challenge! Guess I can practice on my donor S2000 when it comes to removing the engine and gearbox. Do gearbox first and see how difficult it is!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo
Yeah maybe. Mine's quite heavy again now, but then it has done 100K since the clutch change.
Grease your fork.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM

Just a little update. Went to pump bleed the system yesterday and found the pedal had stiffened up a bit. Took her out for a good blast with plenty of gear changes. One word....Smooth!
Definitely an improvement on before. So for the sake of jacking the front up and doing a quick "gravity bleed", its well worth it!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 PM

Just bought some ATE yesterday and will hopefully be doing at the weekend :-) along with brake fluid change and hopefully oil change :-)
Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM

I would suggest a pressure bleeder is better and easier - if you chose to fill the bleeder with fluid 1st. I like my bleeder bottle dry so fill up the reservoir with fluid and pressurise the bleeder so pressurised air pushes out the fluid - beware you don't go below minimum before topping up again if you use this method as air will get into the system. This method is tedious compared to filling the bleeder bottle as all you have to do with the latter method is just let the fluid bleed,maintaining constant pressurein in the bleeder.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:53 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockenheim
I would suggest a pressure bleeder is better and easier - if you chose to fill the bleeder with fluid 1st. I like my bleeder bottle dry so fill up the reservoir with fluid and pressurise the bleeder so pressurised air pushes out the fluid - beware you don't go below minimum before topping up again if you use this method as air will get into the system. This method is tedious compared to filling the bleeder bottle as all you have to do with the latter method is just let the fluid bleed,maintaining constant pressurein in the bleeder.
Pressure bleeders are the best method IMO. I have tried gravity, two man, vacuum and they all have there benefits and disadvantages but i find a pressure bleeder gets the best results. I even went to the extent of buying a brake master cylinder cap and modifying it so it would seal on the master cylinder so i can bleed mine through with 10psi without any problems.

What i like about a pressure bleeder is that even if the brake nipple threads leak then the pressure pushing the fluid out means no air can enter the system. I havent done my clutch fluid but i might give it a go soon. Sound like the OP had air inside.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Originally Posted by Hockenheim' timestamp='1392769017' post='23022331
Pressure bleeders are the best method IMO. I have tried gravity, two man, vacuum and they all have there benefits and disadvantages but i find a pressure bleeder gets the best results. I even went to the extent of buying a brake master cylinder cap and modifying it so it would seal on the master cylinder so i can bleed mine through with 10psi without any problems.

What i like about a pressure bleeder is that even if the brake nipple threads leak then the pressure pushing the fluid out means no air can enter the system. I havent done my clutch fluid but i might give it a go soon. Sound like the OP had air inside.
I bought my bleeder (Motive) from USA but you should be able to buy similar from Tooled-up.com if I remember correctly.