UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cobra alarm triggers when battery re-connected

Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra alarm triggers when battery re-connected

I'm not sure if anyone here would be able to help...

I have a cobra alarm (not sure of the model as haven't dug out the paperwork yet), not the factory UK alarm.

I've been out of the country for a while so had the battery disconnected while I was away. I went to reconnect it today and it triggered the alarm. Pressing the key fob doesn't do anything (the battery in the fob is fine). I figured I would search for a solution on google instead of annoying the neighbours, but haven't had much luck.

Any ideas anyone?

* Reset the alarm (if so then how can this be done, such as holding down the button when connecting the battery)?

* Charge the battery?

* Arm myself with industrial ear muffs and attempt starting the car with the alarm sounding etc?

* Take some wire cutters to anything alarm related, or take a hammer to the siren?

* Scrap the car?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 AM

Do you have the remote with two grey buttons or has it got one yellow and one green?

If the first with two grey buttons then this is probably what you need to do.
Assuming the remote appears to work, ie the light comes on.

Press and hold both buttons together, the light will flash as you do this, wait till the light goes off (about 10sec) let go of the buttons and the light will come back on, press the larger of the two buttons, the light will flash then go off, press the same button again and it should arm/disarm.
If its the other type with the green and yellow buttons it may be a build up of carbon on the PCB, open it up and clean where the button makes contact with something that wont damage the circuit, or possibly need reprogramming.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:49 AM

Do you have a key that you can turn the sounder off? Depending on model, the key hole is usually found on the alarm sounder itself, and covered by a rubber protector.
It won't stop your alarm activating but you will be able to play about trying to sort it without being deafened..
Old 01-23-2009, 03:26 AM

Solved it, although I can't say how.

I have a four button cobra fob. One button for engaging/disengaging the alarm, another opens the boot, and the other two do nothing. The alarm doesn't have a key you can use to turn it off under the bonnet, which is a feature I have in an older cobra alarm in one of my other cars. I was unable to figure out the model of the alarm, and I don't seem to have any documentation on it (just the immobiliser), so figured it may have been fitted in Japan.

So... I went out armed with ear muffs. I tried holding down buttons, starting the engine, using the immobiliser key etc. After 10 minutes of alarm techno, switching from normal siren to what could only be described as police sirens and ambulance sirens I some how managed to stop it