UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A Conundrum , Why Did I start

Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts
Default A Conundrum , Why Did I start

Now I have owned my car since new as some of you might know, its not been a garage queen been used as a van for work at times, been driven in all weathers and often lived outside. 71K on the clock

The dam car is now part of me, its never been much trouble, never seemed to have the problems that other encounter, had 4 geos done with out any seized bolts, no TCT problems or anyhting else really , not even changed a single lamp.

So the first thing is its staying put, its not going to be broken up , sold , or left to die, and i need some thing to do over the winter months, no specific decorating projects lined up so i can spend some time on the car. I have now need for andditional speed so the engine can stay as it is.

So here goes my Questions bearing in mind the above:-

1) Near side rear calliper needs attention at moment and needs sorting , so both need to be sorted.
2) I was think of dropping the entire suspension from all four corners, and fitting news bushes and most likely while its all of as i can get powdercoating done for pennies powder coat all of the parts before re-assmebly
3) I wouldn't mind betting the engine mounts are shot as i am not the smoothest driver and things have felt a bit odd lately lots of rattles ect
4) I have a sneaky suspicion that at least of the rear ARB drop links are now shot , as they seized once and were freed and lubed but again lots of noises form rear end over big bumps etc
5) Maybe if dropping all rear suspension off , drop rear sub frame to, and with rear bumper of deal with any corrosion under car at the rear, and i bet there is a bit , can have a proper look at the rear arches to especially the lips
6)Was thinking of taking both front wings of as well as front bumper , sort corrosion as and where, i know there is some surface rust under the washer reservoir.
7) Whilst suspension is off , why not upgrade the struts, not for outright handling but adjustable to give most of time a softer more forgiving ride( I am old and fat ) but with the option of firming up the damping for the odd blast so what units would you lot fit , been looking at meister R or BC
8) Need to swap drive shaft cups as i am sure there is some vibration coming from them, also tighten hub nuts , some times get a click or 2 , so if the hubs are in bit's for powder coating why not do them!
9) If all if this turns out ok and the old rot worn is not to bad , then go for a re-spray knowing that the whole car is reasonable condition under neath and will last until my Zimmer frame arrives

Now come on what do you all think ?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If you can be arsed and love the car why not.

It's a fair amount of work your talking about though.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Stop being sentimental, sell it and buy a newer one....
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Drop links are disposable items at this point, they won't come off without breaking

I'd seriously have a look at importing a bunch of stuff from CFL in the states ..... suspension bolts etc etc and ball joints as well as toe arms.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

i have had mine since 02. I love it tbh, still really enjoy driving it blah blah i could ramble on about cleaning it but someone would get bored and flame me.

Why not give it some tlc? i will put some lower suspension on mine one day. Cars of a certain age need a bit of TLC, especially with enthusiastic owners.

The S will outlast much more pricey machinery for me, the complete package is superb imo.

So yes, get some coilovers on.. take your time if you're doing the bushes as they're a ballache from what i read.

I came close to getting mine through a suspension change last year but bought a new car in the end which was the right choice for me as now i keep the S for nice days
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
If his is mechanically healthy why the funk would he buy a newer one that he doesn't know the history of? To me that is insanity!

GIve it a good clean up and refresh over the winter and get some coilovers on her! THen enjoy it when the weather starts getting a bit better.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyS2000
Originally Posted by lower' timestamp='1354309732' post='22182407
If his is mechanically healthy why the funk would he buy a newer one that he doesn't know the history of? To me that is insanity!

GIve it a good clean up and refresh over the winter and get some coilovers on her! THen enjoy it when the weather starts getting a bit better.
Yes, absolutely agree, check out S2K_Nuts thread, he was in a similar position and breathed new life into his
Old 12-01-2012, 01:01 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

There guys is one of my thoughts, I know the car, its never been near a crash , nearest is the scrap on the bottom of the front bumper to close to a kerb parking, and there are the collection of dings from doors and one from a can of WD40 , so its staying sentimental or not. And i need a project , something to do!

I do drive it fairly hard i think surprised no one saw me in the west end and city on thursday, certainly used the accel to the max on any number of occasions.

I am on a tight rope here and need a shove
Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd keep it and spend some money on it, as you say you know the car and its history, not sure how much your thinking of spending but new suspension and a respray would refresh the car nicely?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you own a certain Honda for a while it really does become part of you. All of the jobs you have mentioned are pretty straight forward (bar the respray) and fun to do, it will give you a sense of accomplishment aswell!

Quick Reply: A Conundrum , Why Did I start