UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coolant problems...

Old 10-22-2007, 05:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, so the fan is cutting in and out so we can rule out that.

Any sign of mayonaise in the filler cap or on the dip stick?

Any sign of coolant leaking anywhere?

Can't really tell from the photo, but is that oil or coolant on the block?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When I had a leak it was coming out as a very fine spray when the engine got hot.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The photo's to bluuurrred to be positive. However;

That photo suggests that you've blown the head gasket and it's pressurising the cooling system during VTEC. The fluid gets sucked into the cylinders as the engine cools down.

You may be lucky & it's just the water pump that's farqued.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:15 AM

Just behind the area that looks like it has a leak is the timing chain case, so any leak from there shouldn't affect the cylinder head/cylinder block cylinder sealing.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Bod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it start as normal in the mornings, any trace of a misfire at all ? If you have the start of a headgasket failure, moisture finds its way into your cylinders and causes a lumpy start until it evaporates the moisture. Garages can do a simple test using a special fluid held over the expansion tank, id rule this out for your own piece of mind . Good Luck
Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 AM

Aldfort, your explaination of the overheating dur to boiling off fluid after the leak causes the level to drop makes sense.
I have just wiped down as much as I can to try to make any future leaks more obvious.

Lower, no mayo anywhere. The car has used almost no oil over the past 2 years I have owned it. The oil level is fine and doesn't need topping up nor does it seem to have gone up.

When I opened the coolant cap this morning on the way to work hot coolant pissed all over the place so it is hard to tell, there is no obvious coolant leak and I have wiped everything to make it easier to see in future.

esem I need to check for a leak when both hot and cold. It idled for 20 minutes earlier and nothing was visible.

Nick That sounds expensive there is a BIG pic here: http://www.leonpaulnews.com/uploads/oil.jpg the stuff that I thought may be coolant but was too hot to touch is worryingly oil. It it is old and very gritty / dirty. It definately doesn't seem like it has leaked out of anything recently. Is there any way to test your theory about VTEC? Presumably giving it some beans with no load on the engine will not realistically simulate hard acceleration?

Lower Where is the timing chain case is that on the right of the block? Is there anything else there I should be looking for?

Bod the car starts and runs absolutely perfectly. Any ideas what Honada will charge for a head gasket test? Or shoudl I go to a local indi?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 AM

Timing chain case is across the whole of the front of the block.

Doesn't sound like headgasket to me. You should be able to get your coolant system pressure tested at a dealer. They could do a sniffer test at the same time (involves testing the coolant for hydrocarbons or combustion products).

I'll reckon you've got a slight leak somewhere that is allowing you to lose coolant. Check it daily and see what it does.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 AM

You could try one of these? Click here!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesnt sound like the headgasket to me either, you have no mayo.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:12 AM

Do you get mayo with synthetic oil?

Quick Reply: Coolant problems...