UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cost of fuel

Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattg4321,Feb 8 2011, 12:04 PM
I presume GB stands for Gordon Brown??
Actually Great Britain but you're right Gordon Brown also works haha!!!

DOUBLE WHAMMY!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Al_G,Feb 8 2011, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately mate this statement isnt actually true...

Yes the banks played a part but only a minor part. The bank bailout is only a very small proportion of GBs overall debt. Not all banks needed a bailout and those that did will have paid the money back (with interest) before too long.

We find ourselves in this situation due to two reasons:

1) Joe Public is thick as dog sh1te and has about as much financial sense as a pubic hair (money management should be a compulsory GCSE IMO).
2) Labour covered up their cracks by spending money they didnt have.

I ask you this...Would you cross the road without looking?

IMO this is no different to borrowing money you dont have/can't repay. Just because its available it doesnt mean you have to spend it...

I'm thinking about starting up an adult nursery lol
Yep. I agree too.
I read recently that in the US where they bailed out the banks (that is to say that the Govt. bought shares at rock bottom price in the bank to give them some ready cash) those shares are already worth a lot more than the giovt paid and the dividends from the banks actually mean the govt has made a profit.
I think it's likely to go the same way in the UK.

The other thing that really irritates me is the misunderstanding by so many people of exactly what happened with the banks.(not that I claim to understand it 100%)
Half the problem was with Govts. forcing banks to make unsafe mortgage loans to people who had no chance of paying it back.
RBS found itself in massive trouble not because it was doing anything new or stupid, during a day loads of banks offer guarantees to each other as they borrow and spend money on shares and portfolios. On the day all the banks stopped offering to secure each others loans and closed their cheque books it was just bad luck that the roulette wheel stopped on RBS – had it happened a few hours earlier it could have been a different bank.
A lot of the 'bailing out' for banks didn't cost the public anything – the Govt just acted as guarantor for the loans. They never gave many banks money, they just promised too if needed, which they didn't too. It's like a parent being a guarantor of a loan.

I've often read that the General Public is in massive debt. That on average every person is £XXX in debt and it's causing all sorts of problems and we've only got ourselves to blame.
I'm not in debt. (mortgage). I'm sensible with my money.
I resent that I find myself being blamed for the economy problems.
It's the same principle with banks – many of them have done nothing wrong, they just happen to be a nice target, they have cash, and as the world of finance seems so badly understood it's easy to paint them as a target.

Oh yeah… um fuel… it's quite expensive.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Feb 8 2011, 04:21 PM
There is an alternative: you can live closer to work. But then you probably like where you live - the peace, the tranquility etc. So you pay for it in other ways.
Err. No I can't.

As per my quote. I live dead centre between my wife's job and my job. If I moved closer to work, she would live further distance away from work and vice versa.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Feb 9 2011, 08:33 AM
Err. No I can't.

As per my quote. I live dead centre between my wife's job and my job. If I moved closer to work, she would live further distance away from work and vice versa.
If you were to swap your wife for one of the women in the office then you could move house without an issue.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob88,Feb 9 2011, 12:46 AM
If you were to swap your wife for one of the women in the office then you could move house without an issue.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 AM

Signed but as others have said, I'm not hopeful.

We could get a name for ourselves, we could have a S2000 'day out' in London and bring the place to a standstill if we got everyone together!

Not that I volunteer to arrange it but we could do some serious damage with the amount of members / users we have on here!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:06 AM

Haha the irony! Complain about fuel prices in a sports car with quite poor MPG! That would be brilliant!! I would love to see the Greenies faces!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 AM

the thing is the mpg on the S is actually not that bad 26 / 30 mpg.. i remember when 30mpg used to = £10 for 100 miles....
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by gbduo,Feb 9 2011, 06:06 AM
Haha the irony! Complain about fuel prices in a sports car with quite poor MPG! That would be brilliant!! I would love to see the Greenies faces!
Yeah, that did cross my mind but I chose to ignore it!!