S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   CR dampers (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/cr-dampers-1140259/)

weatyGT 12-02-2015 08:53 AM

CR dampers

Considering some new dampers soon for mine... Id like a fit and forget upgrade over the OE dampers and ones that would suit the eibach springs so I'm thinking the CR dampers...

Does anyone know where to get these at a decent price? Also is there any guru that knows the CR damper spec differences to the 2007 dampers spec?

mdb_75 12-02-2015 09:09 AM

I put new CR springs and shocks on mine 2 years ago. I got the shocks from the US and Tegiwa got me the springs. They can probably get the shocks too, but you'll have to ask them.

weatyGT 12-02-2015 09:23 AM

What you think of them?

Ultra_Nexus 12-02-2015 10:27 AM

Get Bilstien PSS (not PSS9) or H&R coilovers. Exactly what you're looking for!

RattyS2k 12-02-2015 12:05 PM

Or koni dampers with stock or eibach springs

E4RTH WORM JIM 12-02-2015 12:32 PM

I had H&R, nice but too soft if you fancy trackdays

weatyGT 12-02-2015 12:33 PM

I have eibach springs on the car already with the milage creeping up I want to replace the dampers with complimentary upgraded units, not coilovers as they need alot of setting up trial and error etc etc not interested in all that fuss and hard work so a fit and forget option. Plus for a decent set it's very expensive plus the setting up costs...

Konis vs CR showa units?? Much in it technically....

I don't want the ride overly harsh, cars already stiff as has all braces (except roll cage)

RattyS2k 12-02-2015 12:41 PM

The koni's offer adjustable damping (rebound only I think) and tbh I have mine set mid way and have never touched them. Ride is composed but not choppy.

weatyGT 12-02-2015 12:58 PM

Oh didn't know that... Interesting ratty, adjustable damping is a nice option to have... No to much fuss just can set it to suit...

My bike has adjustable suspension it's just so much of a ball ache to get right... But damping rate only sounds good for the car... Hmmm...

Any idea how much Full set of konis are??

lovegroova 12-02-2015 01:07 PM

I'm confused. One minute you say you don't want adjustment, and now you do?

If you do, then Bilstein PSS9/Ohlins/KWv3 will be fine, although they are pretty expensive.

weatyGT 12-02-2015 01:25 PM

Sorry LG... I don't want the fuss of setting ride height,changing the spring rates and damping etc etc as with coilovers and yes the better ones are pricey... And then the cost of someone setting at all up...

However I can cope with one single adjustment on a damper once fitted if needs be :-) don't necessarily want the adjustment but if the koni dampers are good and only have a single adjustment it's no big problem... I won't need the fuss of setting the ride height equal on each corner... Making sure the spring rates are good... Etc etc... So the konis are still a fit and forget option.

I'll probably never adjust them again after theyre set anyway

lovegroova 12-02-2015 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by weatyGT (Post 23818168)
Sorry LG... I don't want the fuss of setting ride height,changing the spring rates and damping etc etc as with coilovers and yes the better ones are pricey... And then the cost of someone setting at all up...

However I can cope with one single adjustment on a damper once fitted if needs be :-) don't necessarily want the adjustment but if the koni dampers are good and only have a single adjustment it's no big problem... I won't need the fuss of setting the ride height equal on each corner... Making sure the spring rates are good... Etc etc... So the konis are still a fit and forget option.

I'll probably never adjust them again after theyre set anyway

Most coilovers are single adjustment and fitting them is no different to replacing springs and dampers really.

Getting the Bilsteins fitted on my car was not expensive at all. (<£400 including geometry resetting).

You're right about set and forget, it's what I do, except when on track. The billies have just 9 adjustment settings, which makes it all a lot easier.

E4RTH WORM JIM 12-02-2015 09:48 PM

As LG says get one of the brands that he has mention and you will get the best of both worlds for your requirements.

A single adjustment nob on the top of the strut isn't an issue, very easy.

Most coilovers have a recommended height setting of -25mm. When installed you will never have to adjust that again.

RattyS2k 12-02-2015 10:25 PM

I got my konis from larkspeed and they cost about £400. They have a 2 position spring seat. The higher seat lowers the car about 20mm. From my research everyone who put konis on their S have been very happy.

mdb_75 12-05-2015 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by weatyGT (Post 23817917)
What you think of them?

They're great. Like the originals, but a bit firmer at all speeds and the front end feels quite a bit more pointy. I do a few track days each year and the car rolls and dives less than before too. It's balanced really well too, but I am using the CR anti-roll bars, a facelift rear subframe and upper arms too.

I'd recommend them if you don't want any adjustment at all and you want standard ride height, otherwise I'd try Ohlins.

noodels 12-05-2015 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by RattyS2k (Post 23818434)
I got my konis from larkspeed and they cost about £400. They have a 2 position spring seat. The higher seat lowers the car about 20mm. From my research everyone who put konis on their S have been very happy.

That's 45mm front 50mm rear with Eibach springs fitted to Koni yellow,may be out of adjustability and lead into other issues with symmetry and also possibly roll bar upgrade.
Not unless you put OE springs back with the yellows 20/20mm as above.
I just put good low mileage OE dampers at correct year for Car with Eibach springs on and happy with results,though not convinced its better than OE springs/dampers,but for aesthetics looks better lower = A happy compromise.
Spoon and Modulo also do OE Showa type.

https://www.showa1.com/en/product/au..._absorber.html

found this of interest about CR ect
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/711205-cr-coilovers/

weatyGT 12-06-2015 01:49 PM

Noodles..... So using the koni dampers with eibach springs will lower the car even further???

Eibach springs lower by approximately 30mm... And then konis woukd lower it further by approximately another 20mm is this correct??

If so that's a significant amount... so probably say shafts spacers, bump steer kit, and a Geometry set up would be needed... And as I have 15mm spacers all round probably arch rolling and rear bumper fixing relocated.... That'll alot of work!!!

noodels 12-06-2015 02:29 PM

Yes +20mm with Koni it seems with Eibach +another 30mm
spacers are a waste of £s,`read its best to rotate CV joints as there will be wear already.
That said don't have problem with mine atm with the 30mm over OE lowered,but have done less than 1k miles and have not rotated CVs inners.
Agree lot of work and $ for the above if 50mm required,not to mention ground clearance <or lack of>

Note:
have read lowering 5mm = 1/32" toe movement <0.79375mm> total <not measured myself> that's about 4mmx2 for 50mm drop.

weatyGT 12-06-2015 11:31 PM

Thanks noodles, great info really appreciate that.

50mm is huge drop getting it on ramp at the moment isn't easy... It's my daily also so 50mm is probably a bit to much! I'm sure it looks great though... Have you a picture you could post up at all please??

My spoon front lower cross brace and hks manifold do hang a little low so adding that to the mix perhaps a 50mm drops is off the cards... Manifolds owes me a fair bit so dont want that cracked...

noodels 12-07-2015 01:23 AM

I have Eibach with OE dampers so 25/30 so same as yours ;)

Andy_F 12-07-2015 02:16 AM

I believe Spoon sell a set of OEM-style fixed dampers and springs, probably a fair few quid though.

RattyS2k 12-07-2015 02:53 AM

I have koni with oem springs and thé overall drop is 20-25mm. Keeps thé car at a nice height for daily use.

Taikyu 12-08-2015 02:56 AM

Have you considered Spoon Fixed dampers and progressive springs. Great ride quality, excellent build quality (made by SHOWA OEM manufacture) and tuned more for "sports" driving.