UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Creaky brakes / suspension?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaky brakes / suspension?

My car seems to have developed an issue the last day or so. When braking normally I get a "creaky" sound from what I think is the front nearside caliper.

I only notice it at speeds less than 30mph.

Interestingly I just searched youtube and it sounds exactly like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...52AVysimA#t=27

I only get this when braking - cornering slowly I dont hear it.

Also, since doing a big Wales hoon last weekend (where I was admittedly VERY hard on the brakes at times) the same brake has been squeaking high pitched very loudly at times. They always used to squeak a little but this is almost piercingly loud at times now.

Here's the thing - I either get the squeak OR the creak! Never both.

Whats the most likely problem? I am wondering if I warped a disc slightly in Wales.

Calipers were refurbed on all 4 corners less than 2k miles ago. Fresh fluid. Wheels seem normal temps - i.e. does not feel like a sticky caliper. Car brakes well still.

Thank you for any info!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you got shims on the brake pads. Also check if they are greased correctly. I had to take the shims off my project mu pads otherwise they wouldn't fit; so I get squeeking all the time
Old 04-23-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mondeo had that exactly noise and thought it was the brakes.
It was finally the hub bolts and spacers... my wheel nearly came off in the motorway. was nuts
Old 04-23-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's the hub bolts, be careful because depending how long it's been going on then it would have weakened the bolts themselves and they will start snapping one by one very quickly.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trunkz
If it's the hub bolts, be careful because depending how long it's been going on then it would have weakened the bolts themselves and they will start snapping one by one very quickly.
that´s what happened literally. Previous owner fitted spacers and longer bolts and it was crap
Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rich - My first point of call with noisy brakes is to get the wheels off and make sure you've covered the pads in copper grease, I know you refurbed your brakes 2k ago but Wales may have cooked some of the lubricant so maybe try taking the slider pins off and greasing them too, and anything else you can see first before anything else
Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, here's a Follow up

Did the brakes on Saturday - regreased the calipers and filed down the pad surfaces a bit - one pad was slightly burnt from Wales! - this got rid of the LOUD squeaking but not the weird 'creaky' sound.

Took the car back to garage yesterday and while they couldn't find anything obviously wrong they tighted up all the accessible suspension bolts and regreased the anti-roll bar bushes.

The noise is gone AAAAND (it could be in my head) but the car feels appreciably 'tighter' as a result. After Wales the car felt slightly 'wooly' which I had put down to the rear tyres nearly needing changing . But after Mondays work the car feels sharp again. The chap at the garage said he could nearly get a full turn on some of the bolts. I dont know if Wales did it or if they had slowly been heading this way since I got my bushes replaced around 12 months ago..