UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Custom made exhaust system (S2000), anyone had anything made?

Old 03-01-2004, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom made exhaust system (S2000), anyone had anything made?

Hi there

I am local to a company called JP Exhaust who are well respected for their skills across the UK, I know of several people who have had their exhaust done by them for different cars and had noticable performance improvement and good sound. I myself had them do me an exhaust system for my Prelude and it was very good.

Now I know the S2000 is something a bit more special and to get improved torque and maybe a little extra BHP will take some doing, due to the S2000 been so well tuned to begin with.

So has anyone here had a custom exhaust made? Or does anyone know what specification of exhaust work best?

Am I correct in thinking that I need a CAT BACK exhaust for my S2000 as I need to keep the original CATS for MOT and safe running of the car?

If this is a bad idea, which exhaust system (CAT BACK) gives best performance results?
Old 03-01-2004, 07:47 AM

Hayward & Scott made one for simmo last year - I think he was happy with it. You should be able to locate his thread with the photos if you do an advanced search, limiting it to the UK forum and searching against simmo as the poster

(I suspect though that he had aestethic and noise-making criteria in mind rather than performance improvement, so I've no idea whether their products will be of interest to you)

Yes, you need to retain the cat to pass your MOT. From memory, I think I also recalling that there are potential problems with the ECU if you remove the cat and don't modify the ECU settings. Could be completely wrong about that, but I'm sure about the MOT point.

Which cat back system yields best results? None of them are going to give you much of a boost - single figure gains at absolute best (unless you go for a single outlet, which seemingly release a bit more). The Amuse R1 Titan has claimed gains of 8-9 bhp, I think. The Mugen makes more limited gains but is worth considering if you plan to go on to make any other modifications (eg cold air intake, manifold) which might release a few more ponies.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:53 AM
GSi

There was a guy at the Essex meet that had a custom exhaust, don't think I was introduced to him so couldn't tell you his name. But it was very nice. Looked good - better than some of the others we have seen on here and had silencers in - but was still as loud as the HKS at tickover and a few revs, but didn't hear it underway and can't vouch for the performance increase. Looked good though
Old 03-01-2004, 12:52 PM

Gsi sorry i didnt introduce you that was cdel (dont know his real name) . He had his exhuast custom made last week somewhere in east london and it sounds the dogs !!! PM him and ask him about it Gibbo.

Old 03-01-2004, 01:24 PM
GSi

No worries Jamie... ordered your PRM yet?
Old 03-01-2004, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JP's are a safe bet mate, dont expect much if any gain at all from an exhaust as Honda did a good job with the stock item.
A few mod's on top of the exhaust will maybe get you a little more punch, I'd make sure you order the correct size pipe work as you dont want to choke the car and on the other side you dont want it to have no balls down low(if you know what I mean!!!)

Good luck

Andy
Old 03-02-2004, 01:57 AM

Got any specs for ideal size pipes so they could maybe make me something to specification?