UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Darn windscreen needs replacement

Old 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Darn windscreen needs replacement

Hit by a big (by the sound of it) stone from back of new jeep that doesn't have rear mudguard of any sort

Anyway, rounded cracks * 2 near bottom on passenger side in swept area. covers about tennis all size.

Will phone Admiral tomorrow, what do I need to ask for (genuine honda replacement? Pilkington replacement etc.? seal?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:21 PM
eho

Your authorise windscreen repairer will sort it all out for ya. You will need to pay your windscreen excess tho.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this a couple of weeks ago.

I went through RAC autoglass.

Insist on Honda OEM screen and seals!!

Sometimes its at your insurance cos. discression wheather they will pay the extra for OEM.

I'm with norwich union and they always seem good about it.

The autowindscreens people will tell you anything to install their aftermarket replacement - the honda screen has a small Honda logo on the passenger side bottom corner where the tax disc normally lives.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:09 AM

What's the difference? Is the aftermarket the Pilkington glass one that I've heard about (apparently better than honda one?)
Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TBH - they are all the same i reckon.

The aftermarket ones might just be manufactured for less. You can image honda UK charging the earth for an OEM replacement.

I'd do it just for this badge

Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 AM

My '07 S2000 had a replacement screen fitted by RAC before I bought the car. Has 'RAC' stamped on the glass, ie it's not OEM. I've noticed that the tint on the screen is lighter than the side windows, therefore not sure whether non-OEM screens have different tints. You might like to check before going ahead. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by WILTS2000,Jul 16 2008, 03:45 PM
My '07 S2000 had a replacement screen fitted by RAC before I bought the car. Has 'RAC' stamped on the glass, ie it's not OEM. I've noticed that the tint on the screen is lighter than the side windows, therefore not sure whether non-OEM screens have different tints. You might like to check before going ahead. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, also the glass is different thickness too. IMO the OEM screen was designed the way it was for a reason, not to mention it is an integral part of the car in terms of strength. Have you seen what happens when you roll a S2000??

Yo may say that you will never happen, but no matter how responibly you drive you cant allow for what others may do or "acts of god"

I would be demanding OEM if I was you.

A) Piece of mind
B) You want the screen Honda designed for your car
C) Do you want others to think the car has had new non OEM glass? starts you thinking - has it had a bump was it broken into etc etc.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Just go to autoglass, give your details and they do everything, including sorting your insurance, Paul.

And they use Pilkington

Painless
Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 PM

Pilkington is not OEM though? (but ok anyway as made to standards etc).

MC_BLADE - I hardly think that non oem screen would have been designed for another car lol regardless, I don't think any buyer would think it'd been in a crash, windscreens get replaced all the time and not the break in entry point either (not that it would matter).

anyway, will get on blower tomorrow, just wanted to find out info before calling. thanks,.,..
Old 07-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Pilkington is brilliant

Windscreens are replaced as common place, like you say. These guys make them to spec.

I must have had 4 or 5 in my S, never crashed.

Quick Reply: Darn windscreen needs replacement