UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dc5 Brembo's UK

Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dc5 Brembo's UK

Hello all. I've been on here for a while ,asked a few questions and recieved some good advice. Hoping i can do something to help someone else.

Currently in the middle of fitting some 4 Pot ,Brembo Calipers from an Integra DC5. I searched all the threads on here and hondatech but there were still a few bits left untouched that I had to find out one way or another. Parts are in and just some machine work left so I thought i'd start sharing.

So the install "should" be pretty simple assuming nothing breaks in the process. Firstly i got a set of calipers that were pretty ratty looking. The pistons moved freely and all the seals were good! Dc5 Brembo's UK-obdubkk.jpg

The Caliper will fit onto a standard S2k Disc using Standard DC5 pads. The Caliper sits further out than our one does. Because of this the disc should be pushed out by 7.5mm to bring it inline with the centre of the Caliper. Some people have grinded down the caliper mounting points by 7.5mm, It's arguable . but in the UK this is illegal anyway and Insurance would never pay out after they found out the integrity of the caliper had been comprimised.

I ordered 2 , 10mm spacers and am having them machined down to 7.5mm. If you know or are a machinist you could get some custom ones made up cheaply but if your stuck to paying retail prices on labour it should work out better to get some reasonable spacers that already match the PCD, Centre bore and countersunk. FK spacers have all of this and fit inside the disc.

I'm using AP2 V1 wheels so to clear the brakes I'm also going to use some 10mm spacers on the oustide of the disc. This time with a hubcentric ring hoping to salvage what i can from the hub measurements.

Extended studs should be used to clear the new space added. There are countless debates about how far the wheel studs should protrude on any vehicle .Two Rules of thumb that occur commonly are "Minimum of ten mm" or "thread width x 1.5) eg. 10mm width would equal to a 15mm protrusion. If anyone has a difinitive answer it would be great!

So with the 10mm spacer behind the disc. The 10mm hubcentric infront of the disc. The Extended studs from H&R have 25mm of clearance. We then take the 2.5mm that will be machined away from the "Hub" spacer. 27.5mm .I'm not sure of the hub thickness but it looks pretty thin. Atleast in comparison to the 10mm spacers it looked thin. So for now I will assume it's 8mm thick. That leaves me with 19.5mm of clearance.
Dc5 Brembo's UK-qhv6mkm.jpg
Dc5 Brembo's UK-i0f0ue7.jpg
Dc5 Brembo's UK-q3ufjow.jpg
Dc5 Brembo's UK-27myvss.jpg

If I can find a way of fitting the extended studs into the hub without pulling it , I will have this done much quicker. My bearings are only 6 months old and would prefer not to destroy them so prematurely but if needs must...

Just for fun heres the calipers with a little clean up
Dc5 Brembo's UK-b7wgshy.jpg

Dc5 Brembo's UK-qcjiwor.jpg
Dc5 Brembo's UK-3biqmb7.jpg
Dc5 Brembo's UK-7xfsrya.jpg
Dc5 Brembo's UK-vwh6oam.jpg
Old 09-30-2015, 09:58 PM

Great read, I am looking at upgrading brakes in the near future. What sort of price if you don't mind me asking does this set up cost roughly?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

For me, general rules of fixings as follow with best practice in industry.

Max strength of engagement reached with 3 (Full) threads engaged.

I always try to reach "3 threads showing", so 3 threads beyond the threaded section of the nut.

Would be interested in seeing the overall price for the kit, just as a comparison to the BBK I recently made for my S2000.

Good Luck, and liking the look of your "C-Hook" discs from MTec Brakes?
Old 10-01-2015, 01:15 AM

Thanks guys , Not at all mate , Most of the reason i wanted to do a write up was to show the budget this can be done with, both re-using everything and renewing everything , including machine work and sourcing parts. When my spacers come back from the machinist I'll post up parts and prices needed so far. I've read a diy on here to install studs without removing hub . It includes a little hacking but i believe I will be going with that route to keep costs down and save my reasonably new bearings.

I have a decommisioned runway at my work so I will be testing how the braking distances compare to the standard brakes also.

Yes mate they are Mtec discs , I really like the look of them also!
Old 10-01-2015, 02:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the total cost of this, have you posted it already or don't you know quite yet?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:11 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-01-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

1.5xD is a good rule of thumb for general use, or 8 full thread turns.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:35 AM

Nice read, i will be interested to hear your after thoughts. My understanding was that the DC5 Brembo's are not good enough to be worth the hassle and/or cost.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:18 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Will be interesting to see - upgrading the disc and decent pads (Dixcel) is normally the best way to go with using standard calipers.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:03 AM

Cheers , interested to know what your findings were that made you think they are not a good upgrade? or atleast not worth doing .

Quick Reply: Dc5 Brembo's UK