UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dead S2000 Nightmare!

Old 10-15-2001, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not be HP about that. I would suggest that if they give it you back and it happens again that

A) They (the garage) come out to the car themselves.
B) They bring you a courtesty car for your inconveinience, preferably an S2000, if thats not possible as a minimum something with a Type R or NSX badge on it
Old 10-15-2001, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've got the car back, but I wouldn't say I'm happy.

They didn't find any fault - just charged the battery. I had to kick up a stink to even get them to detail what they had done - I want this as I'm not convinced it's fixed, so that's for next time.

Has anyone checked the colour on their battery indicator? Mine's just blue - but nothing like the blue on the sticker. Probably the sticker, but I'm curious.

I'm going to try and get an accurate battery charge reading in the morning.

-Brian.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, my indicator is blue.
Old 10-15-2001, 10:28 AM

My indicator is green but I have a different battery now

When I dropped my car off with no notice at all, they gave me a new Corsa for 24 hours and I didn't even buy the car from them.

There is nothing worse that an intermittent fault.....you just never know when it will strike again
Old 10-15-2001, 12:39 PM

Just been for a nice twisty drive ~30 miles one roads I know well from biking, and the ITR.

The S2000 was much more responsive this time. I'm guessing that the learnt ECU pattern for my driving wasn't doing that well....

I've done that route in the S2000 before and was pretty underwhelmed compared to the ITR. This time there was a far sharper throttle repsonse below vtec, giving and impression of more torque. Butt dyno and all that, but the engine felt like it had teeth a bit - more like the ITR engine. I was grinning ear to ear

I suspect it's an ECU reset due to losing power that's done it. Certainly felt great.

Then again, if the difference was due to ECU learning, then doesn't that mean it had 'learnt' to have soft throttle response. Hmm... if that's based of driving I guess the S2k's telling me I've been driving like a muppet

I think I'll find the ECU fuse, and try a reset once it's had chance to learn again. I must admit I'm really curious now.

Anyway, I'm planning to take the car into Brindley and see if they'll check it over. Even if I have to pay for the it, I've been impressed with them to date, and certainly don't want to leave the car in this uncertain state.

Today, wasn't what I had in mind for my birthday, but finally experiencing the S2k engine when it had a bit of ITR style spice was great Then again, it's also renewed my hunger for giving my S2000 more of a Type-R sharpness.

-Brian.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmarshall
[B]The S2000 was much more responsive this time. I'm guessing that the learnt ECU pattern for my driving wasn't doing that well....
Old 10-16-2001, 01:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]

Interesting.... Let me know where it is and how to recognise it Brian, please.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:41 AM

I had a chance today to look at the indicator on a different S2k's battery. This was very blue - pretty much matching the sticker, after being stood for something like a week and half.

My indicator wasn't anything like this blue - only a few days after the 'charge'.... and having done > 60 miles on the 2 days since.

-Brian.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:30 AM

I case anyone's curious the problem has been found and fixed. It was an excess drain from the tracking device - the tracking device has been swapped out Mk2 version.

Initially they said it would be November till they could fit the replacement - after making a big stink I had it done today.

One nice thing came about though - It's amazing seeing the actual S2000's frame, bare. (I'm not exagerating to say the whole interior was taken out...). Seen the picture's in Carvey's book, but its something else to see it for real. Great bit of design.

-Brian.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:44 AM

Damn Brian they stripped it bare?! Hope you stay rattle free...

You should be okay, I have had mine apart a few timers and all is still well. The build detail is pretty amazing, you can tell the car is hand assembled from the detail work...impressive.

Glad you have got the problem diagnosed and fixed though. Fingers crossed for lots of happy trouble free motoring ahead now

Quick Reply: Dead S2000 Nightmare!