UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

DECAT Pipe

Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DECAT Pipe

I have fitted the decat pipe, was told that the light shouldn't come on but it has.

What can I do!?

Thanks

Ben
Old 07-14-2013, 04:31 AM
MSC

Did you screw your O2 sensor into it? Which decat is it?
Old 07-14-2013, 04:35 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Lambda spacer needed.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:39 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Dont worry about the light too much, it wont effect the car.

You need to buy some spark plug anti foulers. I opted for two and screw them into the 02 sensor boss on the decat and then screw the O2 sensor into that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLOX-CEL-F...item2ec1f5dc7c

I brought an invidia decat thats supposed to have a CEL fix built into it but i didnt bother taking the risk of having to go underneath the car again so i just fitted the two foulers as well
Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Apparently its an invidia one. The sensor screws into the side/top. Thanks for the link Mark, I will have a look. Had the devils own job getting the sensor out, luckily the thread wasn't too damaged and its managed to screw into the decat. Hope the item you listed above sorts it. I know it probably no problem with the light on but it bothers me, and it also means that if something else crops up I wont know because the lights already on.

Mark, what are spark plug anti foulers? Not heard of them, what do they have to do with the lambda sensor?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 07-14-2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Deadly Aura
Apparently its an invidia one. The sensor screws into the side/top. Thanks for the link Mark, I will have a look. Had the devils own job getting the sensor out, luckily the thread wasn't too damaged and its managed to screw into the decat. Hope the item you listed above sorts it. I know it probably no problem with the light on but it bothers me, and it also means that if something else crops up I wont know because the lights already on.

Mark, what are spark plug anti foulers? Not heard of them, what do they have to do with the lambda sensor?

Thanks,

Ben
They move the sensor away from the exhaust flow I'm guessing reducing it's reading. Some people also stuff wire wool in the spacer.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadly Aura

Thanks,

Ben
Yeah basically what happens is you have the two O2 sensors, the first one in the manifold is for fueling and the second one is to check that the cat is working efficiently. If you secure the Cat 02 sensor into the decat then it will see no change in the emissions and bring up the check engine light to warn that the CAT might be passed its best. By fitting some spacers like the one on the link i posted you move the sensor outside of the direct exhaust flow so it has a hard job actually reading whats going on emission wise. It should never light up again if its spaced out enough.

Glad you got everything sorted in the end!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

So how are you adjusting the fueling to stop it running lean. Removing the Cat reduces back pressure by around 20%. The closed loop Lambda monitoring goes open loop on full throttle so you will lean out terribly. Not good for your engine.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:44 PM

TTS
Thats interesting. Not doing anything. Sounds like it might be a better idea to get a hi flow cat then eventually.

Can you explain more about how that works and why it goes lean?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

TTS, that info is not entirely correct.

I've seen a lot of NA S2000s dynod, and AFR only becomes an issue if you have a lot of breathing mods. Running a decat alone will come nowhere close to running the car lean.

In fact you need a good intake, header and decat to run into high AFRs. You will not lean out terribly.

Quick Reply: DECAT Pipe