UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Disappointed! Poor show!

Old 07-27-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed! Poor show!

Six months in now and I continue to be very unimpressed with other 'so-called' sports/performance cars.

Ran up against a new TT sport tonight, with his pedal firmly glued to the floor - he had the advantage as we moved onto a long up-hill dual carriageway; reeled him in from 40 - 120 clicks until I was up his chuff.

Now, I had read about these and was prepared to be impressed, as the previous 225 and 3.2 TTs weren't up to much, but again I was disappointed! This now joins a rather long list of other cars I've had friendly exchanges with and ended up disillusioned:- Golf 3.2, various TVRs (Chimaera's are very common round here), 911 RS, a DB9 (for ****'s sake!), Boxters, Caterfields.

Only cars that I have enjoyed giving me a thorough roasting were a 911 Turbo, a McLaren SLR, and a 997.

Even a supercharged MX5 gave a better showing last week than some of these others.

Now surely they shouldn't really have a problem with a 2 litre Honda with no torque?

I am being serious now, as I look up to some of these as potential replacements eventually, and really only a 911 suggests itself as a suitable, reliable, candidate.

Hopefully some of the newer offerings from VAG/Audi et al. over the coming years will be better, but then look at the mess they made of the Boxter over the original prototype!

I'm definitely not the greatest driver out there, so its the car, not me, that's giving me the edge!

By the way, the car is stock.....

Therefore probably up on power over modded S's

Oh, and its also the fastest colour, and the best year (MY'02)

Any other less than impressed drivers out there?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:16 PM

Obviously on Nitrous Oxide...... that's you not the car!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:37 AM

Not really too sure that I understand your post. Are you unimpressed becauseyou think the cars you have driven against are slower? Or have you driven them and you don't like them?

They are hardly that much slower than an S2000. Any TT 225/3.2 coupe will have similar straightline performance to an S, and only a second or so slower to 100.

The "various TVRs (Chimaera's are very common round here), 911 RS, a DB9 (for ****'s sake!), Boxters, Caterfields" you have played with obviously weren't trying or up to your driving skill...
Old 07-28-2005, 12:50 AM

If a TVR, 911, DB9, Caterfield really put their foot down, you wouldn't stand a chance. Regardless, DON'T dismiss other cars because of your 'encounters' with them, test drive them then form an opinion.

What is it you require in the replacement? If it's fun, then get a Caterham or Westfield which are a LOT more fun than the S2000. If it's refinement and good all round competence then the 911 is your bag. If it's ultimate cool then the DB9 is the only way to go. Anyway, the list goes on and on.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:25 AM

with the Drac
Old 07-28-2005, 03:27 AM

in cuckoo land
Old 07-28-2005, 05:06 AM

Its 99% of the time the way they are being driven. I have raced 3 s2000 and won them. I will qualify this so dont flame me.
1) In my old r32 from lights up to 60, I then backed off as I knew the s2k would probably catch up.
2) On way to GP from 40-70 in 987s, got 1.5 to 2 car lenghts, both trying.
3) From traffic lights to 70 on dual carriageway in 987s got 2 car lengths and he was trying. (s2k was an MY04).
But 1 and 3 were defo down to s2ks in ability to pull away. 2 was genuine more power.
In any case its naff all and you should feel safe in the comfort that you own a superb car that is faster, prettier, more reliable, exceptional value and slower depreciating than most cars.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mole,Jul 28 2005, 01:06 PM
Its 99% of the time the way they are being driven. I have raced 3 s2000 and won them. I will qualify this so dont flame me.
1) In my old r32 from lights up to 60, I then backed off as I knew the s2k would probably catch up.
2) On way to GP from 40-70 in 987s, got 1.5 to 2 car lenghts, both trying.
3) From traffic lights to 70 on dual carriageway in 987s got 2 car lengths and he was trying. (s2k was an MY04).
But 1 and 3 were defo down to s2ks in ability to pull away. 2 was genuine more power.
In any case its naff all and you should feel safe in the comfort that you own a superb car that is faster, prettier, more reliable, exceptional value and slower depreciating than most cars.
Mole, I don't doubt your experiences there - the stock S2000 is poor from a standing start (I'm looking forward to my 4.625 final drive .

I am suprised that you managed to pull almost two car lengths from 40-70 in your 987S though - perhaps the change from second to third in the S2000 flattered the Boxster a little bit as it didn't give the S2000 time to pull properly in third up to 90?
Old 07-28-2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by craig armstrong,Jul 28 2005, 01:37 PM
Mole, I don't doubt your experiences there - the stock S2000 is poor from a standing start (I'm looking forward to my 4.625 final drive .

I am suprised that you managed to pull almost two car lengths from 40-70 in your 987S though - perhaps the change from second to third in the S2000 flattered the Boxster a little bit as it didn't give the S2000 time to pull properly in third up to 90?
Maybe, 1.5 car lengths is naff all Craig. Its hardly Mclaren and Minardi is it? He may not of caught the throttle as quick as me, he may of had a fly in his eye, it may of been Derek and Kamal from Big brother having a gay day out in their NB Blue.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 AM

Yeah, not a massive difference I would agree, and thats my point - how much do you have to spend to get a substantial leap in performance? Law of diminishing returns, as you move 'up' the car ladder it seems harder to see a massive difference - hence my disappointment.

I probably am in cuckoo land, and I do like a bit of nitrous on the side occasionally.....

Having driven quite a few of the cars I have listed I have reached the conclusion that the S gives me the fix I need - its fast-ish, great fun and a bit different in that 'any minute it's going to chuck me in the undergrowth' kinda way - a challenge I think is the word!

Jeckyll & Hyde Car

Dave.

Quick Reply: Disappointed! Poor show!