UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Disc skimming

Old 10-30-2018, 11:26 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

In answer to your original question yes they can be skimmed on the car it's plated diffs that can't,
but i would question as to why you think you need them doing
Old 10-31-2018, 05:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
In answer to your original question yes they can be skimmed on the car it's plated diffs that can't,
but i would question as to why you think you need them doing
Expensive BBK discs that are in good condition other than a judder
Old 10-31-2018, 06:02 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
Expensive BBK discs that are in good condition other than a judder
Old 10-31-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

If it's merely cementation, I've removed it before using glasspaper. Don't get too violent, though.

Skimming shouldn't hurt, either. IIRC, the Torsen does nothing without significant torque on it and if you turn the rear wheel by hand one way, the other goes in the opposite direction as it tends to with an open diff.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Why do you want them skimming on the car? Off car skimming will flatten the surface, take off any deposits and machine them true to the hub. If they still judder you've got a bent hub.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
If it's merely cementation, I've removed it before using glasspaper. Don't get too violent, though.

Skimming shouldn't hurt, either. IIRC, the Torsen does nothing without significant torque on it and if you turn the rear wheel by hand one way, the other goes in the opposite direction as it tends to with an open diff.
Thanks
Old 10-31-2018, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by lower
Why do you want them skimming on the car? Off car skimming will flatten the surface, take off any deposits and machine them true to the hub. If they still judder you've got a bent hub.
Don't particularly want them done on the car but can't find anything else local.

That said, I guess any half competent geezer with a lathe should be able to do it...
Old 10-31-2018, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
quite but irrespective of that how much do they want to charge for this service versus the price of new pads and discs?

ime it's more likely to be run out

Cheaper to check and usually the result of poor installation ime

skimming is a bit like replacing the cylinder head to fix your coolant loss

a corrective procedure not a diagnostic
Old 11-01-2018, 12:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
It's the gearbox it knackers with prolonged towing as it has a front oil pump which only turns with engine input, it won't effect the diff
Crikey, you learn something new every day!

I was always under the impression it was the Torsen type limited-slip diff that didn't like the wheels being driven - in effect the power path going backwards through the diff, specifically the helical worm drives that form part of the LSD basket.

I'd always assumed the gearbox was splash lubricated - I've never needed or bothered to check otherwise.

The S2000 just keeps surprising me.

Last edited by ValveBounce; 11-01-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had many discs skimmed (off car) including those on the S after my first trip to Spa. One of the fronts developed not a warp but a thickness variation. Very odd. I suspected cracking of the central webs but couldn't find any. However after skimming they did two more Spa sessions without issue. 'Headline MK' near Woburn, near Milton Keynes, if interested. Oh and the cost... think it was £10 a piece last time I was there.

Quick Reply: Disc skimming