UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dixcel Brake Discs

Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dixcel Brake Discs

Need some advise/offers of experience...

I'm looking at getting a set of the Dixcel FS Carbon Slotted discs - they seem to get good write ups and although expensive, I for one don't like to skimp on my brakes. Plus I have a bit of a heavy braking foot I do plan on one or two track days this year but the majority of use will be fast road.

I've always used EBC Yellow stuff pads (rate them highly and wouldn't normally consider anything else), however, Dixon motor sports (where I plan to buy the discs from) recommend the Z pad...

So I'm wondering whether to go with the Z pad, yellow stuff or the EBC blue stuff pads (they also get good reviews independently and I fancy trying them out).

Thoughts/experience/advice...?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:33 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Dixon Cheng of Dixon Motor sports fled the country some time ago owing people money, so I'd not buy from there.

Burn Motorsport is now the UK dealer for these: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...p-and-running/

I have used Dixcels for a long time, and would not recommend the slotted rotors as they eat the pads very quickly. A set of FCR plain discs and Z pads work fine for the road and the occasional track day.

You may also find this thread of use as it asks a similar (but not the same) question: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/114...ay-brake-pads/
Old 04-11-2016, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Dixon Cheng of Dixon Motor sports fled the country some time ago owing people money, so I'd not buy from there.

Burn Motorsport is now the UK dealer for these: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...p-and-running/

I have used Dixcels for a long time, and would not recommend the slotted rotors as they eat the pads very quickly. A set of FCR plain discs and Z pads work fine for the road and the occasional track day.

You may also find this thread of use as it asks a similar (but not the same) question: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/114...ay-brake-pads/
Ah OK, won't be going there then!

Thanks for the link - I had a read over it. As the slotted Dixcels burn through pads and the Z's are not at all cheap(!), I think I may stick with the EBC's while on the road and switch to the Dixcel Z's when I make it to the track.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:16 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipz
Ah OK, won't be going there then!

Thanks for the link - I had a read over it. As the slotted Dixcels burn through pads and the Z's are not at all cheap(!), I think I may stick with the EBC's while on the road and switch to the Dixcel Z's when I make it to the track.

Thanks for the info!
If you want pads for track use only, have a think about going for the RA pads which are even better.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:54 AM
Banned

Great advice from the forum as usual

As a general rule of thumb a rotor with 6 slots will increase pads ware by 30% on the road and up to 50% on the track! The trade off is about 20% more braking performance / initial bite / fade resistance. More slots, more pad wear!

The Z type pads work excellently with the FP or PD rotors. They will give excellent braking performance and last very well even under track conditions. For your use this is the set up I would recommend.

If you order through the website you can take advantage of the club discount. Check the thread in the trader section.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Burn! Motorsport
Great advice from the forum as usual

As a general rule of thumb a rotor with 6 slots will increase pads ware by 30% on the road and up to 50% on the track! The trade off is about 20% more braking performance / initial bite / fade resistance. More slots, more pad wear!

The Z type pads work excellently with the FP or PD rotors. They will give excellent braking performance and last very well even under track conditions. For your use this is the set up I would recommend.

If you order through the website you can take advantage of the club discount. Check the thread in the trader section.
I bought a set of the Dixcel FS rotors from you yesterday (including the discount of course )

Yellowstuff pads and braided lines on the way too.