UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Do They Squeal??

Old 12-05-2001, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Stock OEM SO2 tyres?

We're talking about enthusiastic driving, pushing the car a little on dry roads! The view has been expressed in another thread on the main board that they don't..... ever ! Is it true.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced I haven't heard mine squeal. If it's true it would be nice to know wouldn't it, that when we do lose it ,we won't get any warning noise from the tyres beforehand.

We've all got different driving styles, what do you think?
Old 12-05-2001, 01:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NO!

I have never driven a car in which it is so difficult to break the traction of the driven wheels! It seems the clutch is as likely to 'let go' as the tyres . Which brings us back to burning rotten fish

The only time I can get the tyres to squeal is on hard acceleration from rest into an uphill right turn!!
Old 12-05-2001, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, on a public road I'd have to say if you can get the tyres to squeel you are acting like a menace to society Seriously though - the levels of grip in the dry are far above my levels of driving commitment on a public road.

That said, on the track I have no doubt (after looking at the front tyre scrub on steve_the_greek's car at the last big meet) that the fronts at least will squeel just from understeer washout....
Old 12-05-2001, 02:23 AM

The view was expressed that tyre squeal could be induced, by entering a bend slower than normal and gradually increasing acceleration, which bears out what Ian is saying. It's fairly academic in normal driving I would think anyway.

If the tyre is going to grip and grip more and more firmly to the point where it gives up suddenly, then we all stand to benefit from the knowledge and be able to better advise new owners. I take your point too Red on the public menace thing. I'm coming to th conclusion personally that when the tyres do lose it were going too fast anyway, or inducing the loss by bad inputs. If the loss is at any speed then the spin is going to be so sudden that only those used to practising very regularly on the track have any hope at all of recovering, which would explain a lot of the shunts we see.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:38 AM

CT - don't quite understand what you mean,

I think I am pretty careful and kind on my tyres - but I have often heard them squeal.

There are some great mountain roads near my place and there are 2 or 3 1st gear hairpins where unless you are extremely gentle with the right foot - the inside tyre always loses grip and gives a yelp of protest. Or do you mean some other driving condition?
Old 12-05-2001, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry chaps, I might have gone off at a tangent - I was refering to tyre noise from the fronts slipping not the rears loosing traction - I've heard some great noises from the rear especially on the way up the multi-storey car park at work (lots of cool echoes )
Old 12-05-2001, 02:49 AM

Kobe:

I thought this was going too well!

I think we're talking about a long sweeping bend where we might be tempted to get on it and expect to hear a pretty well continuous and comfortable level of tyre protest that tells you nevertheless that the tyre is still pretty happy and not going to break away.

Hope that makes sense! I'm not advocating that you do this at home children BTW

Red:
Car parks not included! I think it has more to do with the surface in those muilti storey thingys... but I know what you mean!
Old 12-05-2001, 03:21 AM

OK - got it.

There are not those types of roads here to try the experiment - the only long sweeping bends have a 1 metre high concrete barrier about 0.25 metre from the edge of the road and my severe lack of RWD experience suggests it would end in tears - so I will have to pass on this particular question.

However doesn't road surface have a big influence on the tyre - harder/softer tyres will make different noise on different surface? just wondering.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:27 AM

Sorry Cedric I can't help- I've got the roads but not the car yet.
Great question, I'll be watching this one!
Old 12-05-2001, 04:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are not those types of roads here to try the experiment
Then please dont be tempted to try on our behalf Kobe.

Good to see you posting again - where have you been the last few weeks

Quick Reply: Do They Squeal??