UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dodgy idle & low rpm hesitation

Old 07-04-2017, 02:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The valve clearances made no difference to this so I wouldn't bother unless it needs doing. For the TPS I checked the percentage on my ODB Bluetooth device and Torque App at approx 5% at Idle which is apparently normal. Let me know if the high flow cat makes a difference or not?
Old 07-11-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cat made no difference to mine sadly.

Have found that there is a exhaust leak where the lambda sensor sits though - garage had to angle grind the old one off as it was rounded as you like, and looks like they've nipped the end of the manifold/downpipe creating a blow. Pretty sure this isn't the issue though.

IVAC should be here any day now as my next test. Then it's throttle position sensor and I don't know what else. MOT is up in a few days so no idea if it'll pass with this issue
Old 07-11-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Buy a standard intake for it and see if that cures it.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Buy a standard intake for it and see if that cures it.
Had the same issue before I fitted the K&N sadly - hoped fitting that would solve it.

I've got the IACV now so going to fit that and then see if it's still an issue when I drive it to work tomorrow

Edit: After a quick drive it still seems to have the issue
Old 07-12-2017, 12:54 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey mate, might be an idea to edit your first post with what you've tried so that other people can recommend stuff and not be repeating stuff rather than reading through the whole thread. Have you got any vacuum/gasket leaks? Have you anyone near you you could swap parts with, TPS and MAP would be easy ones. Also a video might be helpful.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

"Has had an engine rebuild in the past (2006 engine fitted with all 2004 engine parts) so not sure if it's related to that"

I missed that bit the first time round - makes it sound like a DBW engine was used, and they have different trigger wheels and cam sensors, how much info do you have on the engine replacement (I wonder if the engine would even run with the wrong crank sensor for example)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:57 PM

Latest update (i'll update the first page with this too);

Replaced;
ICAV,
Map sensor,
Spark Plugs,
Both lambda sensors,
Catalytic converter

Still got the issue and if anything it has gotten worse, now when cold it needs throttle in order to fire up. Personally I'm suspecting a partially seized AC Compressor (has never worked) for that one and it being unrelated to the iffy idle/EML.

EML that's being thrown is the knock sensor. This might be due to the below;

That said, the garage I enlisted to help with the primary o2 sensor (was rounded and couldn't get it off at home) has bodged my manifold and it's blowing at the lambda sensor where they've cut it and then welded it back up.

Next steps atm are to pop off the aux belt and see if all spins freely, along with getting a new manifold as I don't trust this one can be welded back up 100%
Old 07-28-2017, 04:20 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Er that crack is your problem.

It will screw the fuelling up.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:43 AM

Imagine it's a contributing factor but the problem existed before the garage did this bodge to remove my old lambda sensor (unless of course the issue was the lambda sensor which got replaced and now the issue is this hole in the exhaust)

The garage has offered to weld it back up for me but I don't trust them to get a nice flush finish on the lambda port etc, going to just buy a new manifold I think
Old 07-28-2017, 05:53 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It will drove like a pig with a crack like that. As you say it was either cracked before / lambda was nackered but I'd certainly sort that first. Even if you heavily wrap / seal it with exhaust paste I'd bet it will prove it's that hole causing it.

Quick Reply: Dodgy idle & low rpm hesitation