UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

ECU Tuners

Old 10-18-2016, 01:29 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

So its just the map itself that is locked?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would assume so. And cant really blame a company to lock a map as it would be classed as their intellectual property.

(Not sure if you can lock a map but not an ECU? Are they treated as one item, or 2 separate?

Anyone have any info on this?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipz
Originally Posted by Owd-Guy' timestamp='1476736611' post='24086158
I would be interested to know what the locked ECU business is about too, they fitted and mapped an AEM ECU that I obtained through the recent group buy. The car ran well on the run back north that day but it's been a real bugger to start since, I'm guessing the set up is too lean but I'd wellcome any thoughts from you guys.

I used this piece of advice from one of the many threads I poured over when having the same issues last year. Crank timing and min/Max rpm was the key for me - starts perfect 9/10 times now, especially when cold. Happy to share my exact figures if you need.

Originally Posted by jh4db536
Update to the thread:

I have overanalyzed things in the past. I learned the answer is MUCH simpler. I'm not even worried about start up anymore.

the first step is to fix a bug in aemtuner by disabling 'crank inject all'

The second step is to increase crank injector to 10,000uS assuming stock fuel system

If you stopped right here, you will have probably have brought the startup to an acceptable level.

Further optimization:
Between 1 to 5 deg crank timing advance
Crank max rpm = 300rpm per my reading of tuning megasquirts
Crank min rpm between 35 and 40rpm (very sensitive)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-18-2016, 03:12 AM

Many thanks for the Info Flipz, I'll give the car a try this afternoon but there is no reason to expect any change as it is very reluctant to start after being left for a few days. Battery is very healthy and engine is turning over well but no signs of starting for several minutes and a lot of cranking but then starts cleanly for no apparent reason. No problems at all before the AEM ECU was fitted.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Owd-Guy
Many thanks for the Info Flipz, I'll give the car a try this afternoon but there is no reason to expect any change as it is very reluctant to start after being left for a few days. Battery is very healthy and engine is turning over well but no signs of starting for several minutes and a lot of cranking but then starts cleanly for no apparent reason. No problems at all before the AEM ECU was fitted.
I'll PM you so we don't pollute this topic.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:09 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldn't leave fitting the injectors until the day you go to have it tuned.

The fuel rail might need spacing to ensure it clamps them down correctly. The Deatschwerks i have said plug and play fit but in reality the fuel rail needed quite abit of spacing. They also leaked abit and required abit of tweaking.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:17 AM

Does anyone know of a place that you can buy a base map so i can at least get it to a tuners, otherwise I'll have to get it transported.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:28 AM

I am not fitting the injectors. Driving car to TDI and having them fit injectors. My understanding is that ID Injectors use OEM housing, so should sit correctly.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:54 AM

Just spoken with EFI, they do no map locking of any kind and his exact words and i quote:

"Don’t worry, no map locking here John. I happen to think it’s a rogues trick, something done by those with something to hide it seems. If you’re paying for the dyno time then I believe you should own the map, to do what you like with."

Fingers crossed i can get penciled in for a thursday afternoon tune. He is also able to send me a base map so i can get the car to him, top bloke!
Old 10-18-2016, 05:04 AM

Remember to bleed the SC fully. Don't want to drive all the way there on a base map and have a damaged charger.

Quick Reply: ECU Tuners