UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

elephant.co.uk

Old 09-20-2001, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrsoften
[
I then phoned bonaportdirect.co.uk and they (after much discussion) said that if the car is bought from a official dealer in an EEC country and full UK spec then it would be treated as a UK model not an import. He went on to say that this was some kind of directive for all major insurance brokers in the UK.
Old 09-20-2001, 09:26 AM

Makes you wonder if getting an 'import' is worth the hassle and short term financial savings in the long run
Old 09-20-2001, 01:50 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I am getting an attitude problem over this import shit.

Please explain to your insurance companies that a Belgium import is simply a UK car that stayed on the boat from Japan one stop too long, and if it has the right CoC is not different from one which alighted at the correct port!

A Grey or Parallel may rightly frighten them, as there is no CoC to guarantee it is the same as a Euro RHD car.

If your insurance company cannot grasp this they do not know their own trade and therefore deserve liquidation and commensurate P45s.

If in doubt, please try Bell Direct.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Nick Graves
I am getting an attitude problem over this import shit.

Do I assume that you have an import Nick
Old 09-21-2001, 01:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick Graves
[B]I am getting an attitude problem over this import shit.

Please explain to your insurance companies that a Belgium import is simply a UK car that stayed on the boat from Japan one stop too long, and if it has the right CoC is not different from one which alighted at the correct port!
Old 09-21-2001, 04:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by UKjasonm

Here, Here!! Totally Agree, insurance companies are the pits.

Im at the point were I dont feel its even worth telling them its an import, its UK spec (when youve added the Alarm), it carries the same CoC, its registered with Honda UK, its covered by a 3 year warranty. What more do they want.

As for it not being worth it, well I'm 7.5K in pocket so for me it was well worth it, even with the dropped UK price your still 4-5K in pocket for what is an identical car (bar the alarm).
Also note Jason that the 4-5K in pocket soon halfs? when you trade it in (with a Honda and an independant which I find more strange) if my experience with two dealers is anything to go by, they were insistant that they would only take UK original cars, (mine is) in any trade in / buy back!

A thought on insurance companies could be the amount of spares Honda UK carry is based on UK supplied cars? Maybe they realize any parallels may be delayed in sourcing parts?, i.e. keeping them for UK sourced cars, making claims bigger (outsourcing / rentals etc???)
Old 09-21-2001, 04:35 AM

Tesco still ended up cheapest!!! IOnly
Old 09-21-2001, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by UK Paul

Also note Jason that the 4-5K in pocket soon halfs? when you trade it in (with a Honda and an independant which I find more strange) if my experience with two dealers is anything to go by, they were insistant that they would only take UK original cars, (mine is) in any trade in / buy back!

I really dont understand this, I think its a result of the car manufacturers scaremongery.

For me if there were two identical cars for sale, 1 UK and 1 EU and the EU one was cheaper then that would be my choice, they are built side by side in the same factory in JAPAN (not UK) using the same components so why pay more?

If people want to pay more for piece of mind then thats entirely upto them but in my opion that piece of mind is something that has been generated by the UK car dealers trying to justifty their outrageous markups and protect their wallets.

I hope this doesnt come across as argumentative its just a bug bare of mine . Im totally in favour of all imports EU and Jap, we get our trousers pulled down and get shafted from behind far too much in this country.

Old 09-21-2001, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone who doesn't fully understand the difference between a 'grey' import and an 'import' I may not have all the right facts here, but isn't there a risk that a car brought into the country from a non-UK, no-Euro official dealer may not be kosher, and is that what causes the problem?
Old 09-21-2001, 06:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKjasonm
[B]

I really

Quick Reply: elephant.co.uk